Does anyone natively write games for OpenGL anymore?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ViveLeLivre, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

EDIT: Does anyone write games for OpenGL systems anymore? (WoW excluded)

Remember when you could get a Linux distribution of Quake III using OpenGL, and it wasn't 4 years after the DirectX version came out?

There was such an uproar about Vista layering OpenGL over DirectX that Microsoft has since revised the code to let OpenGL stand alone. Clearly somebody cares about OpenGL gaming, but who? From what I understand, there isn't anything DirectX can do that OpenGL doesn't have an answer for. So where are the games?

Please correct me: If a game is written for OpenGL, then it's not a great leap to produce an Apple port; am I way off base here?

I know that in the past, OpenGL standards have been an issue. Is this still an issue?

This isn't a complaint, I'm just curious why we don't see more OpenGL games, and by extension, more timely ports to OS X.

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Doom 3 and Quake 4 are openGL games, ID software uses OpenGL. It dose infact make a lot more sence to use OpenGL in games as it can be ported to linux and mac quickly opening up the market. However i do beleve OpenGL runs slower than DirectX or perhaps its just a driver issue. Also i think OpenGL is ment to be more expencive to produce.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Sure, people write games in OpenGL. I'm beta testing one right now and another one was just released. Go to Ambrosia Software's website to find out. :)

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I may somebody supporting. My college has a big course on OpenGL, but nothing on DirectX. And it's a windows world... ;)