Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJasonTATE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Does anyone use a PowerPC Mac as there only Mac? If so post the Mac below. I do. I'm a student and a Python programmer so I did not see the point in getting an Intel. I also have a "decent" PC. My Mac is in my sig.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
almost, but no. I would say more than 90% of my computer use is on PowerPC but not all of it. Most everything I do is on a dual 2.0 G5, 1.5GHz PowerBook 12" and the G4 cube.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I only have PowerPC Mac's. My 450mhZ G4 Cube is my main computer, but my 700mhZ eMac and my 400mhZ Power Mac still get attention. Although I do have a crappy Dell laptop that I use for things that my aging Mac's can't do.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't own any Intel Macs. Two 17" Powerbooks and my wife has a 12" Powerbook. My son has an iBook G3 Dual USB.

Nova77

May 12, 2011
I don't own any intel macs either. My desktop is lightning fast for most things I do, and it allows me to play my beloved OS 9 games natively. Plus, it looks really cool. My laptop is a Mighty War Laptop Beast. This this is still kicking where any laptop would have died (physical damage, tea in keyboard, etc). My two macs are in my sig.

iJasonTATE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Cool guys! I have all the graphical enhancements, dashboard, and spotlight search off and am using a solid black wallpaper to reduce strain on the graphics card on my iMac G4 and it makes a world of difference!

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I only have PowerPC Mac's. My 450mhZ G4 Cube is my main computer, but my 700mhZ eMac and my 400mhZ Power Mac still get attention. Although I do have a crappy Dell laptop that I use for things that my aging Mac's can't do.

Very cool!

Long live PowerPC!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I work for a small weekly newspaper. My work Mac is a G5 1.8Ghz with 4GB of ram and a 500GB hard drive., running Leopard. It's on 24/7 (we leave the computers up). Since I've had it my boss has replaced two sets of monitors (I use dual monitors). It's been running since early 2005 and I use it daily to do ads, and compose the pages of our papers. It's got the latest versions of design software before Adobe and Quark abandoned PPC.

My coworker has the same set of apps as I do and her Mac works even harder to do the same job. That's because she's using a G4/450 with 1GB of ram. That machine was there when I was hired 7.5 years ago.

So, two PPC Macs in a production environment still producing.

iJasonTATE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I work for a small weekly newspaper. My work Mac is a G5 1.8Ghz with 4GB of ram and a 500GB hard drive., running Leopard. It's on 24/7 (we leave the computers up). Since I've had it my boss has replaced two sets of monitors (I use dual monitors). It's been running since early 2005 and I use it daily to do ads, and compose the pages of our papers. It's got the latest versions of design software before Adobe and Quark abandoned PPC.

My coworker has the same set of apps as I do and her Mac works even harder to do the same job. That's because she's using a G4/450 with 1GB of ram. That machine was there when I was hired 7.5 years ago.

So, two PPC Macs in a production environment still producing.

Very cool!!!!

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Got a DP 2.5 GHz G5 as my main machine, an MDD i don't know what to do with, an iMac G3 for OS 9 apps and games, and a blown iMac G4 (first edition) that i am going to convert into the OS 9 machine once i get the logicboard/graphics replaced and then decomission the iMac G3.

Other than that, i have a Dell laptop for my StarCraft 2 and Steam apps gaming.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
From June 2009 to May 2011 I used PowerPC only on my G4 1.8GHz till I was given my MacBook C2D. Now I use the G4 and MacBook in combination.

Specs of my G4 tower are in my sig.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
PPC only, but I'll maybe buy an Intel iMac with lowest sepcs in the future somewhen, if I see the very need for it.

ghett0tech

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
Houston
i use my PowerPc as my main computer.

g5 dual 2.0 6GB RAM two 500GB HDD

only thing it lacks is video rendering/youtube/streaming pandora

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I use my PowerBook g4 in sig all the time. Sometimes I start up my old g3 iMac for the occasional classic game. I have to admit that really soon I am going to have to get an intel Mac to use lightroom or aperture for my concert photography gigs. I have been using photoshop cs on my g4 and it is annoying now to have to open, work on, and close each file one at a time.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
My main computer is a MacBook Pro, and does just about everything for me, but for certain tasks when I need a capable, fast machine and don't need the latest software get handed off to a Power Mac G5. I also picked one up for my dad for basic Web/email/iTunes use and he's pretty happy with it (going to probably get an iPad to work with it eventually). Both machines have identical specs:

PowerPC G5 2.7GHz x2
3GB RAM (I may add another to mine from RAM I have lying around)
250GB SATA hard drive
SuperDrive of some sort

I've added Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to mine from a donor Mac mini of that same era. We got these machines dirt cheap from a place that was wanting to run Adobe CS5 (Intel-only), and they have been pretty solid so far (despite the numerous reports of liquid cooling issues).

If I had a choice, I'd probably go for a later G5 without the liquid cooling system, but they are plenty fast and expandable if you stick with software from that era.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
All of my Macs are PowerPC. They're from a time when Apple made computers with they're own personalities, not just PCs running OS X.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I know I am NOT welcome here because I just sold my Powerbook G4 today via eBay. I really like PowerBook very much (I had it for 5 months) but it does not have what I need so end up getting a MacBook Pro last week...I am happy now.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
The only Mac I'm using is a PPC 1.67ghz G4 PB. I have a dual core Intel box running Linux as well. You'd have to look closely at the dock to realize it's not a Mac.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 231

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
Dude, Thats ok.. you have to do what you have to do to keep organized. If the PB G4 was not meant to last you longer than you had it, then so be it. For my uses, my PB G4 is great and although I have a 6-core mac pro, I still use my G5 Quad as not only a file server, but also as my everyday computer for all my everyday computing needs. I do have a Gateway P-7808u FX gaming laptop with Snow Leopard and Lion installed, so that is my macbook pro right there, even though its a PC running OS X, OF WHICH I BOUGHT.

What G4 Powerbook did you have? Was it the dual layer model? Those models are still highly sought due to the fact they were the last G4 Powerbooks ever made. Here is my list of macs I currently use and sometimes don't use:

Use is in order from Greatest use to least use:

Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 w/8GB of memory, using the 7800GTX video card
Power Book G4 1.67 w/2GB DDR2 memory, using 128MB video
Power Book G4 Pismo 550 for all my Mac OS 9 work and or just play
Mac Pro 2010 6-core 3.33ghz - Haven't decided on what to use this for. Own for enthusiast reasons
Gateway P-7808u FX - experiment by running Mac OS X on it and it works great thanks given to TonyMacOSX86.

I know I am NOT welcome here because I just sold my Powerbook G4 today via eBay. I really like PowerBook very much (I had it for 5 months) but it does not have what I need so end up getting a MacBook Pro last week...I am happy now.

----------

Hey, I am also running a PB G4 1.67 Dual layer as well. Also use my Gateway P-7808u FX for Mac OS X as well. Snow Leopard and Lion work nice and fast on this core 2 duo based laptop. And if I wanted to I could take out the P8600 2.4Ghz processor and go all the way up to a QX9300 quad core - enough computing power to last me a long time. I don't use thunderbolt related stuff, so therefore it is of no use to me.

The only Mac I'm using is a PPC 1.67ghz G4 PB. I have a dual core Intel box running Linux as well. You'd have to look closely at the dock to realize it's not a Mac.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
The only computer I own right now is my G4 400Mhz Titanium Powerbook. I could list a hundred things I hate about it from the deformed titanium shell and gutless G4 processor to the fact that PPC software is increasingly difficult to get hold of and that attempting to run Leopard would push me to suicide. (Tiger is a bit too sluggish for my liking, but I'm loathed shed yet more features and revert to Puma/Jaguar/etc).

But the original hinges haven't broken, there is not one single dead pixel, it's a freaking dream to work on and with (thanks to the easily removable keyboard, which is also great for extended periods of typing) and most importantly, 10 years on, every single component still works exactly as it should. Cheap replacement battery and hey presto! 4 hours battery life on a full charge.

For all the frustrations and irritations that come with a senile Mac, for all the hair loss from tearing it out at the seventh beach ball from opening a second Pages document and for all the moments where I've been semi-tempted to check it in to my own version of the Dignitas Clinic, complete with sledgehammer and vitriolic bedside manner, I love it. It's like every Italian car I have ever owned; it will drive you mad most of the time when it isn't doing what you want it to either fast enough or at all. But for those few times when the moon and the stars align and the Earth's axis is on just the right tilt you forget all that crap and your eyes glimmer in the realisation of just how brilliant your trusty old Macintosh really is.

And you know what? Even though the amount of PPC software out there is slowly drying up in much the same way as DOS-based software did with Windows XP; I still have Notepad Deluxe. Ha!! :p

Recycle my old computers? Sod that, I'll save the environment by not chucking out perfectly good computers!! ;)

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Our computer is our 1Ghz iBook. The screen connection went on it 18 months ago so we have an external monitor attached to it. I use it for banking, email, music and posting threads.

Problem is that we use our 2nd Gen iPod Touch more than the iBook as it is faster with web browsing and youtube videos.

s.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The only computer I own right now is my G4 400Mhz Titanium Powerbook. I could list a hundred things I hate about it from the deformed titanium shell and gutless G4 processor to the fact that PPC software is increasingly difficult to get hold of and that attempting to run Leopard would push me to suicide. (Tiger is a bit too sluggish for my liking, but I'm loathed shed yet more features and revert to Puma/Jaguar/etc).

But the original hinges haven't broken, there is not one single dead pixel, it's a freaking dream to work on and with (thanks to the easily removable keyboard, which is also great for extended periods of typing) and most importantly, 10 years on, every single component still works exactly as it should. Cheap replacement battery and hey presto! 4 hours battery life on a full charge.

For all the frustrations and irritations that come with a senile Mac, for all the hair loss from tearing it out at the seventh beach ball from opening a second Pages document and for all the moments where I've been semi-tempted to check it in to my own version of the Dignitas Clinic, complete with sledgehammer and vitriolic bedside manner, I love it. It's like every Italian car I have ever owned; it will drive you mad most of the time when it isn't doing what you want it to either fast enough or at all. But for those few times when the moon and the stars align and the Earth's axis is on just the right tilt you forget all that crap and your eyes glimmer in the realisation of just how brilliant your trusty old Macintosh really is.

And you know what? Even though the amount of PPC software out there is slowly drying up in much the same way as DOS-based software did with Windows XP; I still have Notepad Deluxe. Ha!! :p

Recycle my old computers? Sod that, I'll save the environment by not chucking out perfectly good computers!! ;)

I have that model. It has since died with it's second logic board, although that was because my daughter sent it flying off the couch. It has a cracking case, but the hinges are still good. Paint flaking, but LCD is fine. Ran Leopard on it for a while. I've had it since 2002. There was a period of time from July 2004 to February 2005 that it was a production machine at the paper I work for. External monitor attached for dual screens, keyboard and mouse. It was handling ad design running XPress 6.5, Photoshop 7, Acrobat 6 and Illustrator 10 with no problems. Sorry to see it go, but with two other PBs that replaced it I'm not interested in installing a third logic board.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
I have that model. It has since died with it's second logic board, although that was because my daughter sent it flying off the couch. It has a cracking case, but the hinges are still good. Paint flaking, but LCD is fine. Ran Leopard on it for a while. I've had it since 2002. There was a period of time from July 2004 to February 2005 that it was a production machine at the paper I work for. External monitor attached for dual screens, keyboard and mouse. It was handling ad design running XPress 6.5, Photoshop 7, Acrobat 6 and Illustrator 10 with no problems. Sorry to see it go, but with two other PBs that replaced it I'm not interested in installing a third logic board.

That's unlucky man and is the fault I've always dreaded with any Mac I've owned. Still, if the logic board on this one goes that's fine with me. The equivalent PC from 10 years ago wouldn't be able to run the firmware on my washing machine, so at least my TiBook has lasted :)

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Does anyone use a PowerPC Mac as there only Mac? If so post the Mac below. I do. I'm a student and a Python programmer so I did not see the point in getting an Intel. I also have a "decent" PC. My Mac is in my sig.

yup. Typing on a Beige G3/300 w/1 GHz Sonnet G4 upgrade etc... basically 100% maxed out, in sig.

I need to repair my Quad G5 before I can really use it... LCS problems.

I'll be getting a new 15 or 17" MBP within the next year, though, after Ivy Bridge models come out... my Lenovo died (worthless, worthless brand... never again..) so I'm out of a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.