Does anyone play Starcraft anymore?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Poff, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I used to have this game on the PC, before both versions were on the same CD. And I've been thinking about getting it again for my Mac. But does anyone play this nowadays? Will I be able to find anyone on BNet?

It is, IMO, one of the best games made to date! :cool:

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I loved it for years... one of the best games for its time ever made... but I must admit, it seems terribly outdated to me now. There are so many little things missing (interface options, unit controls, etc.) that I find it really hard to play anymore. If I'd never moved on to warcraft III I'd still probably play...

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

my friend's a total starcraft freak and he keeps wanting me to get it. im guessing i'd need to use classic?

4. 40167 macrumors regular

Yeah you'll still find plenty of people on b.net... Personaly I haven't played it for years and probibly won't again; for me it got boring after the first few times but im not much of a game player.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Nope, Starcraft, and Diablo II have both been Carbonized so that they run in OS X native. You might need Classic to run the initial installer though.

6. unixkid macrumors member

7. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I still play starcraft almost daily with one of my friends. It's (in my opinion) the best game ever, and no new game has been able to top it, despite the outdated graphics and features. Any starcraft 2 rumors? :)

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I too like this game, but it has been years since I played it. May have to get it out and play again. I used to waste hours on it :D

9. dcollins macrumors newbie

dcollins

There are always people on SC playing. I still play at least 4 times a week. It could get a little discouraging though with everyone who can beat you within the first 3 minutes

10. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

I got the game on eBay, but the CD key is used :mad:, no battle net for me :rolleyes:

any ideas

11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Buy a new copy, it's like $10 so why bother with ebay....

--Eric

12. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

I play all the time. Once I found out it could be played on OS X I started playing again.

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I still play starcraft once in awhile. My iMac G3 runs it great so its been one of the few games I still play. I really hope blizzard starts developing a new starcraft I would love that!

14. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Yup! And not just something like Starcraft Ghost or whatever, but a full-fledged strategy game! I guess that'll be when I get my G5 powerbook.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I love StarCraft. Native OS X, fun, and I have disk images of the CDs so I can play wherever. :D

Sure the graphics aren't the best, but the gameplay is fine. LAN party anyone?

16. astrochess macrumors newbie

astrochess

I and most of my friends still play Starcraft. I think that battle.net is still up.
    I really like real-time strategy games because I can actually use my brain instead of the first-person-shooter games. Everything gets muddled there.

17. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I lost my CD key, but I have friends who still play it fairly often. Battle.net is still up and running, with a surprising number of games still up only two weeks ago. The great thing about Starcraft is that it runs on everything. Just as my Quadra 660AV took me through Warcraft 2 and its expansion with no problems, my PowerCenter Pro never slowed down while playing Starcraft. Its probably the most popular game still being played that can be run on a stock non-G3 Power Mac.

18. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

there.. my copy just shipped from www.play.com

€13 including brood wars expansion and shipping = not too bad.

and my shuffle should ship tomorrow..

jolly times ahead, can't believe I've spent this much money tho.. :confused:

19. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I played a game of Starcraft with a friend last weekend -- first time in years.

I still have a lot of affection for this game. I remember getting the Blizzard "Battle Chest" set of Warcraft and Starcraft when I was a senior in high school. I installed Starcraft and tried playing, but I think I decided it sucked before I finished the first mission (you know, where you learn how to mine minerals and build a troop barracks). I put it away and didn't look at it for a year.

Then, the next Christmas, I was home from my freshman year of college and had blissfully little to do. I eventually got bored enough to dig out that Starcraft CD and play past the first boring level. I became absolutely hooked on the game. I think it had such a great storyline to accompany it, and I spent many a fond hour playing that game. It's weird how playing again recently brought back so many associated memories of that dark and snowy Christmas 5 years ago, and how much I loved being able to just sit for hours and hours building my bases and clobbering the enemy.

20. hanq macrumors member

actually at office depot, they sell it for $5.

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

dude wtf

k, so i went to circuit city and bought starcraft battle chest, with brood war and both strategy guides. get home, open the box, stick the disc in my drive (machine specs in sig if it matters) and when i click on the "starcraft installer" button it opens classic, which i thought was odd, then pops up an error message about not being able to open the archive and to use the installer on the cd which is exactly what i did! what did i do wrong? screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

22. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

tried this?:

it's an old game, y'know. Hope you'll enjoy it! :D Mine should be here any day soon!

23. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

thanks, worked great

24. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Good! Game should arrive here today or tomorrow.. Can't wait!! :D

25. Nejja Halcyon macrumors newbie

Taken from battle.net:

This just goes to show that there are still a TON of people playing SC I think.