Does anyone remember Orange PC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ShermDog, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ShermDog macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004
    Several years back, I remember a company, Orange Micro, used to make a PCI card that allowed you to run Windows simultaneously with Mac OS on a Mac. I believe the card actually had an Intel processor on it. Does anyone make such a card now to allow you to run Windows on a current Mac?

I have some PC only programs I need to run for work, and would rather not have to go the Virtual PC route.
  2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah, we used to have an orange micro PCI card that we couldn't get rid of at a store I used to work at. But I think the one we had could only run DOS. I don't know of any new cards that would do the same, I suppose you could try eBay. Maybe you could find something that might run Win 95.
  3. chv400 macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2003
    Houston, TX
    ive heard of those i think they only had 100mhz processors i saw one on ebay a while ago so you may beable to find one.
  4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I have used two types of these PC-compatible hardware cards for the PowerMac.

1st was a DOS-compatibility card (a 486 based CPU) which could only run DOS and Win 3.11 (in a PowerMac 6100 / 66)
    2nd was a Pentium 166 based PCI card for in a PowerMac. This one could run Windows 95 (in a PowerMac 9500)

The idea was pretty cool. But pretty expensive too.
    I don't think a Mac OS X compatible verison of a P4 based PCI PC card will come, now that apps such as Virtual PC are here. Ofcourse it will run faster than VPC, but they will be pretty expensive. Better to get a real PC (if you want the speed), or sacrifice a little speed and get VPC.
  5. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I used to use the Orange Micro PC card years back (still have a pocket knife they sent me when I ordered it :p ). I did a search about a month back for something similar, but couldn't find anything still on the market.

They were an interesting animal, since the ones I had included parallel and serial ports so you could connect peripherals directly to the card. It was handy at the time, but now that you can buy a low-end PC for a couple hundred bucks and run in via VNC, it's not really worth the effort.