does anyone remember....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by derajfast, Apr 21, 2006.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2004
    I think it was maybe 1999, where a bunch of online merchants sponsored this guys experiment where he stayed in a room for 1 year, with only a computer and a bathroom. And the goal was to buy everything he needed online, and get everythng delivered?

If anyone could provide more info, or link me to the story, I would be very appreciative.
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    No, because that does sound easy.

Ever hear of the guy in Japan who was given nothing but a bathroom and a bunch of magazines, and he had to figure out how to survive for an entire year with just that?

Then mid-show, once things started to pick up for him (he figured out how to survive ;) ), he woke up one morning to find that the creators of the show tried to spice things up by introducing a goat or ram or something into the guy's room, and he spent a lot of time hiding and avoiding it! :p
  3. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I remember that, but no online search I do finds the story. I would think you have to do some sort of archive search to find it.
  4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    XD Those crazy japanese. I wanna visit Japan.
  5. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2006
    Hehe, thats Japanese "reality" TV for you :p :rolleyes:
  6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    I remember that vaguely, but no real details are coming to mind. Like iSaint suggested, you might want to search some major newspapers' and magazines' archives. This sounds like something that Wired might have covered, for example.
  7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    Short of emailing your friends, I'm not sure it would have been so easy. Maybe I am getting the launches mixed up, but I don't think the grocery delivery services were up, nor were very many other food delivery programs going. But, I could be getting launches off by a couple of years...
  8. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I remember it, and, as I recall, he changed his name as well. Sorry, but details don't come to mind.