Does anyone remember...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Does anyone remember when Community Discussion dealt with nice topics like lunch and TV shows? Now the bulk of the threads are "bash the U.S. government time" If there is a demi-god section, maybe there should be a political section. I don't really care either way, just wondering if anyone else was thinking this.

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've noticed there are a lot of political discussions lately. Doesn't bother me much though, even though I don't talk politics well.

It's all good though...we'll get some more underwear discussions going on soon...he he he ;)

ah yes...and we'll be having some Geek Fest discussions after next weekend too! :D

3. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

We'll all be expecting lots of "edited" photos after that ;)

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

yep. macnn.com has turned into the same thing. I used to swing that way once in a while.. but thats why i am a 100% Macrumors cat now.

many people think it is a cool thing to do... being political.. especially critical of the bush administration and american culture. It is easy to jump on the bandwagon and god knows there is tons of ammunition for "political slander"; but i think that the more of an informed and educated opinion you form; the grayer the situation gets.

Politics is always a nasty subject. But hey.. if you don't like the thread.. don't read it. I could be all wrong here; but thats just me.

Good Times'

C-

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

yeah...I'm not too into the whole political thing...its not good for anyone, just gets everyone worked up.

Whats wrong with joking around and making people laugh? That's what its all about people...fun, we're here for fun

F......U......N.....

NOt politics.

Carry on

6. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

My main problem with them is that they are all redundant. They start out with different topics but after 5 posts they are "impeach bush" or "i hate liberals"

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I like the political thread when they are not violent. he.he.

The Macs and Politcs v2 was great. Logical, well thought out, not rude. Lately they have just been rude, and I have been part of that, so sorry all. It is hard for me to not respond because of my background though.

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im down with talking about politics. however im not down with talking about politics with people who are violent about it. politics is a sensitive area so naturally its known to start flame wars etc. etc. i thought macrumors was generally made of people who are cool cats and just can hang around and shoot the sh*t and not get offended by so and so because they said this or that...and it is...but lately however ive noticed that there are a few peeps on here who take things too the extreme and personal to the point to where by thier words its seems they want to claw your eyes out.... they misunderstand you (understandable) but will not relen with the anger after an apology. NOT cool. its a message board... everyone needs to just chill. there are also a lot of cool cats on here who can do that....just chill... and those i get along well with. thier are those who seem like they are being very rude but in actuality are just having a little fun and so they just are joking around...knowing full well its just a frekin message board. those types i get along with well also. im not naming any names but im sure you can decipher who these peeps are.

im cool with everyone. if someone hates me for whatever the hell then thats thier problem. if they want to claw my eyes out.... THEN ILL BRING IT ON!... screw the forums ...one on one ...face to face. Thats not Christian but im not perfect. if people welcome me and dont take me to personal then we will get along well. I go where im welcome.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

in general things stay pretty restrained and whatnot....

though i agree, it does seem like lately some of the non americans have been all about bashing the us. which, though i agree with 99% of what they say, gets a bit old.

ok, we get that there's tons of problems. and some of us do what we can to fix it. but believe me, it's not up to the people anymore, so bashing us by bashing the gov't doesn't do much good....

anyhoo, i like the fun, and i like the smart discussion. so i go either way. kross- it's all good... keep ya head up dawg.

10. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Oh yeah, some of the old political threads were great. But now all I see is "F*** the opposite party v.1" "F*** the opposite party v.2" "F*** the opposite party v.3"
    They all end up the same. A meaningless flame war of one side going "let's impeach bush" and the other side going "you guys can go to hell"

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

some of it, yeah, but not all of it. and it usually settles down if it gets to be like that..... the pledge thread has come around nicely after going on for a few pages about some people hating each other or whatever..

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I think the lack of rumors may be partly to blame.

Everyone is antsy about MWNY since its almost 2 weeks now...Maybe everyone's pissed cause Apple's got a tight seal on the coming events.

Anyway, After MWNY there will be no politics talk for a while since there's gonna be lots of Post-MWNY talk/debate

13. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I hope so, it's kind of annoying having all these threads floating around. Everyone cool it. As for all the non-americans bashing the U.S., it would bother me a lot less if they said something negative about their OWN country every once in a while.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah. that's what i'm saying. most of us americans realize (whether we admit it or not) that our country has some big problems.... which mostly stem from politics and how it's almost impossible for a real person to get elected and make any difference (see ralph nader)..

and yet they don't see their own faults. which would be more beneficial to them, as then they coudl try to change them..

on a side note, i would like to visit holland and germany again... been a while.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm not a big fan of politics myself, as I hardly know anything and the subject IMO loses it after such a period of time.

I am a fan of pointless posts like this. :D

That's why I have the rest of the community forum to bull!!!! around and discuss other topics, some fun, some not. :cool:

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks for the encouragement bro. rock on.

17. SoarEyes macrumors member

Come on asurace. I know that when strangers talk badly about your country or country’s politics, you develop a tendency to take it personal.
    It’s only natural to wan’t defend your crib.
    The things is though, because of the fact that you guys are so influentual/powerfull in this world, everything you do is gonna be scrutenized. But remember criticism is not equal to loathing I would sooner say the opposite.

I think most of us Americans, non-Americans would agree that our politicians don’t always do things that make us proud. But let’s not stop talking about politics in fear of hurting eachothers feelings.

In the end we’re all the same with the same basic needs and want’s.

I used to think Iwas indecisive, now I’m just not sure :confused:

18. SoarEyes macrumors member

Not that hard to come up whith negative things about Holland either.

Uhm let’s see.....
    We Pay way to much tax minimum is 37% max is 60% (that’s besides local taxes road taxes and Vat) A lot of that goes to our Welfare state.
    But I have a sneeky suspicion that all that red tape cost’s alot too.
    And ofcourse one million people on paid sickleave. That’s on a population of 16 million.

Our gasoline cost’s something in the region of USD 1.2 per liter Don’t now how many liters in a gallon.

Whe have long-ass waiting lists for certain hospital treatments

major crime issues, It seems you have to rob somebody several (10 or more) times before you go to jail and then when your there they set you free becuase the cells are full. In Holland for some reason it costs alot to jail people don’t have exact figures but it’s gruesome.

Since a couple months there’s been a dramatic shift from left to right in politics. Maybe it’s neccessary but it also worries me a bit.

Hope these make you feel better isuass hehe

;)