Does anyone rent/loan Macs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

While I'm waiting on either the 17" Powerbook to hit the stores so I can see it in person, or an updated 15" Powerbook before I pull the trigger, I've been doing a lot of research, and pretty much just sitting back and trying to learn as much as I can.

I've been to my local Apple store, and played with a 15" Powerbook for about 15 minutes, but I don't feel that's nearly enough time to really get a feel for it.

Are there any places (brick & mortar or otherwise) that either rent/sell Macs (preferably Powerbooks) or have a very liberal return policy (Wal-Mart)?

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Look in the phone book

Look for a local Mac (Apple authorized) repair shop.
    Often they want your business, are willing to loan or rent you a computer.
    You don’t have to purchase a computer through them, though it would probably help them.

There are a number of rental companies out there, check your local yellow pages under Busses Rentals, Computer Rentals, or Office Equipment. Try some of the copy chains. Kinko’s and Orex both used to rent business equipment at a fair rate.

In any case, I recommend the following purchases if you are going to get a laptop.

Buy the extended Apple care! I have had many a laptop and it has always paid its self off. I have had all repairs on my revB iBook done in 3 days or less.

Buy 1 or 2 extra batteries and a second power cable, if you’re a real ranger.
    Get a good sleeve to protect your computer. It really helps reduce damage, especially if you change locations frequently.

Lastly, buy the best model that fits your needs. Nothing is worse than shortchanging your self on an expensive purchase.

Good luck!

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

you can get an apple loan from the apple store, although the rate of increase is a bit high.

5. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input.

Re: Gold Country Technology:

:eek:

For less than that, I could buy from a retailer, play with it, return it if I don't like it, pay the 10%-15% re-stocking fee and end up ahead.

medea,

THe problem's not the (lack of) funds, but the fact that I would like to 'test drive' a Mac.

Thanks again.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Best bet to test drive is to go to the Apple Store or CompUSA. I spend enough time at those places that they are starting to know not to come ask me if I needed help! :D It gives you the chance to see what machine will fit your needs best. If it takes you an HOUR to test the PB, they won't mind, there are usually a few machines around each hooked up to something different (digicams, miniDvs, iPods, etc.) so you can try each one of those machine.

If you are more detail oriented, take a stop watch and a notepad and keep track of what you try and what you like and do not like and then see.

Of course you can always buy a used/open box machine and resell it if you don't like it.

7. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

After another visit to the local Apple store, I found that I could pursue another avenue...although it's probably a little morally questionable.

They (re)sell different computers that have been bought, then returned within the 10-day period where the buyer has to pay a 10% re-stocking fee. On these items, the (new) buyer has 10 days to return the item...and since it has already been sold new and brought back once, there is no additional re-stocking fee.

So I could (essentially) borrow a previously owned Mac for 10 days with a 100% refundable deposit. Something like a cheap iMac, just to get a feel for the OS.

But between the two trips to the store, I believe I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect. Now, to wait for the 17" or an updated 15" PowerBook.

I do plan on visiting one of their Intro to Mac seminars they hold every Saturday.

8. garzy macrumors regular