Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Just wondering if anyone besides me still ran SETI@home, with all this folding stuff. I still do. Does anyone else?

And yes, I also run F@H most of the time

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Does anyone still run SETI?

Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Just wondering if anyone besides me still ran SETI@home, with all this folding stuff. I still do. Does anyone else?

And yes, I also run F@H most of the time

Not get all you machienes on folding.
Anyone who searchs for aliens need so get on folding today. :D
Really out of the millions of units they recieved they made huge PR stun saying the top 150 most promising ones would be looked at again.
Oh yeah we found that Lightyears ago Aliens were possible on some planet far far far away.

Okay how about helping people in the short term? Amasingly the bulk of team members in SETI haven't posted here or looked at SETI forum... for like months...
People are still using there computer for it... bad.

I say only people with OS 9 comps should run SETI, because anyone on OS X running SETI shouldn't. Think this lifetime, what will help you and others, sure we all look to the sky, but I want to know I made some small path to curing disease.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i think he's looking for responses from ppl who run SETI. ;)

the folding vs. SETI issue has been discussed before.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Re: Re: Does anyone still run SETI?

Originally posted by MrMacman
planet far far far away.

Okay how about helping people in the short term? Amasingly the bulk of team members in SETI haven't posted here or looked at SETI forum... for like months...
People are still using there computer for it... bad.

I say only people with OS 9 comps should run SETI, because anyone on OS X running SETI shouldn't.

That's right, you tell them who to help. You're such an altruist.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I still run Seti. I've been running it for longer than I've known about Folding, so Seti I'm keeping.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Re: Does anyone still run SETI?

Originally posted by springscansing
That's right, you tell them who to help. You're such an altruist.

In no way am I selfish, look SETI and Folding both have there advantages. Do I want to help us over trying to find others... maybe a little.

SETI: You have the possibility of finding a planet that has E.T.
Folding: Every WU counts towards finding cures for disease.

Bad parts:
Seti: Well... out of millions of WU... only 150 have a slim chance or finding a planet with ET
Folding: Besides that the program is slower... After they find how to cure diseases they need to implement treatments.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I run SETI only because my computer is too slow for folding, 700mhz G3, a Wu takes to long and the folding people wnat the data back in 2 days which I can't do.
Guess I'm still looking for ET.
Um... your not even in the right ball-park man.

the shortest deadline for the tinker core (the ones macs use) is 11 days. and that is for the smallest WU ever. :rolleyes:
Check, I am right.

We don't have the gromac core... 'tinker' is us. folding might take a little longer than SETI does but it is all your choice...
;) *cough* Fold *cough* ;)

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I stopped running SETI a long time ago, when I read a report that they started sending duplicate packets to keep the users busy. (Since they had too much computing power) Things might have changed now... (Which I am sure they have enough to keep all of the computers busy. :D)

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I did run SETI for a while, but switched to Folding immediately after learning of its existence.

SETI is sort of cool, but my seven machines go towards Folding@Home.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
I still run SETI@home. I've been doing it for a long time. Not sure how many machines I have running it now. We make our choices about how we expend our energy. We won't always agree. And the "I heard they were running the same data again to keep people busy" stuff sounds apocryphal. There is still so much data to be analyzed, it's hard to imagine how that could be true. Anyone have a good data source on that?

Regardless, it's certainly not true now. Here's a recent story about SETI:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/883316.asp

Chris

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I didn't think it was still true.... But it was when I quit. (there was a problem with the reciever and they didn't expect to have it fixed for several months. And with the amount of participation they blazed through the data they had stocked up.)

I think that I was ready to move on too. :) I have no problem with where you expend your extra computer energy. (As long as you use it. I hate wasting computer power. :))

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by chmorley
I still run SETI@home. I've been doing it for a long time. Not sure how many machines I have running it now. We make our choices about how we expend our energy. We won't always agree. And the "I heard they were running the same data again to keep people busy" stuff sounds apocryphal. There is still so much data to be analyzed, it's hard to imagine how that could be true. Anyone have a good data source on that?

Regardless, it's certainly not true now. Here's a recent story about SETI:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/883316.asp

Chris

I finally get SETI, out of millions of signals 150 make it to be tested. 130 will be ruled out without looking at it twice. We might get 10 out of millions that have an even smaller chance to be something.

Whatever, I'm happy with Folding. Anyway I got out after I heard besides sending duplicate packets (SETI have 4 MILLION computers running, I don't even think 100 satelites could send out that much data) there were also un-proven reports that the top teams were cheating stats by sending the units over and over and over. Is it possible that I send a unit every 5 hours with one computer running? :eek:
I don't know look at the top people... how many computers do that have???

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
I just downloaded the new SETI GUI client for OS X. I tried folding, but I never could get into a program that I had to run from the Terminal. I just prefer a GUI based client. I think I'm going to give it a go and try this out for a while.

I know folding is great and all, but isn't there something to be said for the pursuit of empirical knowledge, knowledge for knowledge's sake? I mean a lot of the folding folks are bashing SETI for not being practical and applicable in the near future, but what if they're wrong? Isn't it important to look up and see what's going on out there? I understand the importance of the work that folding is doing, believe me. I just think someone needs to keep carrying the "because it's there" banner. Just my $.02. :)

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by maradong
no for me :)
what is the point in searching for extraterrestrial intelligence, if problems on earth are not yet solved?

With logic like that we'd never have embarked on what is, despite some marked disasters, the most successful space program in history. I'd also like to point out that without that space program we'd never have made many of the scientific advances that are currently making life on earth a little bit better. :)

Programs like SETI are vital, as they have the enormous potential to show us that we're not alone. Isn't a discovery like that, or even the potential for it, worth looking for? I know it's a long shot, but what if there really is something out there? Isn't that just as amazing as finding a cure for a disease? I sure think so. Don't you ever look up and wonder what if? I can't imagine not doing so.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
You re right, it would certainly be a fantastic news to hear there are other forms of life somewhere in outer space, but unfortunatly, i dont see the point in looking towards that news.
Some points, there will certainly be a panic on earth if we hear there are other life forms somewhere in the universe. Because if we can "hear" or, at least capt their electro magnetic waves, they have to be on a much higher state of living than we are. ( -> call einstein if you don t understand this part. it took me ages to do so :) )
Secondly, what is the point if we detect other life forms? They will not help us. But there is a great probabilty things like folding, or united devices' grid program is doing so.
I don t know if you understand me. I don t say all the guys running seti are stupid, but i just can t figure out the use of if.

Please excuse my bad english ;-)

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Originally posted by MrMacman
Very nice, if you don't mind me asking what team where you before?

Originally, no team; then Art Bell's for about a year, followed by a Handspring team which I founded; then founded another a couple of weeks back for Toshiba 2430 (hence the Don 2.4ghz label) laptop; disbanded that yesterday and joined MR.

Am doing a bunch of things part time. SETI (because they're re-crunching a pile of old, promising data), Folding, and a double-Mersenne prime number search (which has no team capability). Only the first two on my iBook, as the latter only runs on a PC.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by maradong
You re right, it would certainly be a fantastic news to hear there are other forms of life somewhere in outer space, but unfortunatly, i dont see the point in looking towards that news.
Some points, there will certainly be a panic on earth if we hear there are other life forms somewhere in the universe. Because if we can "hear" or, at least capt their electro magnetic waves, they have to be on a much higher state of living than we are. ( -> call einstein if you don t understand this part. it took me ages to do so :) )
Secondly, what is the point if we detect other life forms? They will not help us. But there is a great probabilty things like folding, or united devices' grid program is doing so.
I don t know if you understand me. I don t say all the guys running seti are stupid, but i just can t figure out the use of if.

Please excuse my bad english ;-)

It's cool, man. I totally understand where you're coming from. I guess my perspective is just that we have a mandate to look for it. It's the same mandate that made us discover that earth wasn't the center of the universe and that the earth wasn't flat. It's the next step. That's why I crunch for SETI.

I totally understand why all the folding guys do it, and I'll have the server I'm currently building (god love cheap x86 hardware and linux) running a folding client. I'd like to help that cause out too. I just think that a lot of folks (not saying you) really miss the point of the whole SETI project. That's all. :)

P.S.-You're dead on about the whole Einstein point. I did pretty well in physics, and I'm well aware of what you're talking about. ;)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I run SETI only because my computer is too slow for folding, 700mhz G3, a Wu takes to long and the folding people wnat the data back in 2 days which I can't do.
Guess I'm still looking for ET.

I fold on multiple machines, including an iBook G3 800. It gets the job done with time to spare. You may not be out of luck.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.