Does anyone still use "ball" mouses?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by SkyBell, Sep 29, 2006.

?

Do you still use "Ball" mice?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. No

78 vote(s)
    83.9%
  3. I switch between the two.

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. macrumors 603

SkyBell

You, know, the old mice, before optical was introduced. Anybody still use these? I do.

I think I'm gonna make this a poll...

2. macrumors regular

barkins

Wow, I don't know why you're still using that... it's like still using a typewriter. :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I don't. I have a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse with laser tracking. I think a poll would be very effective. :)

Give the choices of ball, optical, laser, trackball, and ?other? I don't know if there is any other. :confused:

EDIT: Too late. :p

4. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

OMG, I could not stand those. I would always have to pop the ball out every week to clean it out or they wouldn't work quite right. 4 years ago I had enough, I bought an optical mouse and never looked back. :cool:

5. thread starter macrumors 603

SkyBell

Whoops, forgot about trackball's. But the poll isnt asking what kind you use anyway. It's asking weather you use "ball" mice. But I am going to say, that "between the two" can mean between whatever kind of mouse you have and ball mice.

6. macrumors 65816

CoMpX

That cleaning ritual sounds familiar for the MM's scroll ball. I just rub it vigorously with a damp cloth about once a month, or when scrolling starts to get flakey.

7. Moderator emeritus

Actually, I have a number of devices but my Atari ST doesn't have the ability to use a mouse with a laser.

I have a three button Kensington mouse with a ball and it works fine on my Macs but I prefer the Logitech MX 510, which uses a laser. However, the cables get in the way and cordless devices are still so-so. My trackballs work well instead.

8. macrumors 68020

on an old comp i have a stationary mouse and you move the ball with your thumb, but it runs over a serrial cable :( , anybody know of a usb mouse like that?

9. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A friend's two-month-old Dell came with a ball mouse. Draw your own conclusions :p

I think Logitech still make trackballs.

10. thread starter macrumors 603

SkyBell

Well, of course. Dell isn't going to spend an extra $4 just so thier customer can have an optical mouse.:D

11. macrumors 65816

CoMpX

It's not even that much. We are probably talking a matter of cents more to make an optical mouse. I didn't know anyone made ball mice brand new anymore.

12. thread starter macrumors 603

SkyBell

Ya, they sell 'em at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack for about $5. I see optical's for $9 or $10

13. macrumors 68020

thank you nermal. Logitech has 4 or 5 models like it. But those ne g7 mice look so good.

14. macrumors 65816

CoMpX

That's how much they sell it for. How much do you think its costs to make? There's a huge difference there.

15. macrumors 68020

Well, of course. Dell isn't going to spend an extra $.04 just so thier customer can have an optical mouse.:D

16. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

yeah, I have an old ball mouse on my PC. I only use that machine for checking websites in IE, so I'll be darned if I'm going to spend any real money on it. I think I paid $9.99 for the mouse and a crappy keyboard together, and that was like 4 years ago.

17. thread starter macrumors 603

SkyBell

You're right. The companies that make them get a better profit from optical rather then ball mice. But seeing as how the ball mice attract low-budget customers, they make them still. They just charge more on the product they make the most on.

Of course, what company doesn't do that?

EDIT: Dang, I really need to work on my 'explaining things to people' skills :D

18. macrumors 6502a

I still have a trackball mouse that I use when I'm at my desktop at home. I want to get one of the wireless optical trackball mice that Logitech makes. I hate mousepads and the other nonsense attached to the typical mouse

19. macrumors regular

G7 mouse kicks ass.

20. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I usually try to avoid the impulse to pick up any stray mouse and see if it has balls or not.

21. macrumors regular

x704

I thought I would post a few interesting things I found out about mice...

The "Laser mice" are actually use a tiny pinhole camera with a red pulsing LED. My cousin and I stayed up late one christmas and figured out what they were. We think it's a gray scale camera so the picture size would be smaller and easier to deal with.

I think there are two different "ball" mice... One is an optical ball mouse the other is mechanical. The first one uses 2 small LEDs for one of the two axes to infer motion. I don't know about the mechanical one but think it had two switches in place of the small LEDs and inferred motion basically the same way in the logic.

I found the "laser" mouse work much better on darker colors. they tend to go wild on white colored mouse pads easier.

22. macrumors 65816

I am forced to use a ball mouse at school. Mainly because the school couldn't get that $10 for like 20 computers even though they got new Dells. But then I come home and am spoiled with my laser mouse and a few optical mice here and there.

23. macrumors 6502

No.

The company of a friend bought HPs and they came with PS2 ball mouse! :eek:

I got a new Logitech laser mouse for my iMac.

24. macrumors 603

iSaint

At work, I have no choice. I have a Gateway running Win98 with a ball mouse. Ridiculous...

25. macrumors 68020

dont we all :)