Does anyone stream music from iTunes to an Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thewhitehart, Aug 3, 2006.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I was just wondering how many people stream their music from iTunes to an Airport Express.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I do. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of AirPort Express owners do.

Not sure I see the point of this thread...

3. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Well, I use one as a main router. I didn't have speakers to hook up to it, but I've now since bought another one to stream music to. I was originally going to make a poll, but didn't know how :)

To rephrase, "How many mac owners here use an airport express?"

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

5. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Yeah. I can see how this thread seems odd. I originally meant to make a poll but didn't know how.

You see, my stereo is downstairs, and my cable modem is upstairs. Neither can be moved without creating problems. So I wasn't using my first airport express to stream music. Only to share a printer and act as a main router.

I only wanted to get an idea of how many people on this forum use an airport express.

6. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

My roommate and I do. Also, my sister has two of them. One for printing/wireless internet and streaming music and a second just to stream music to in her bedroom.

7. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

uhh yeea...

I don't really use it that often though. Maybe once or twice.

8. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

We use a SlimDevice Squeezebox2 for our primary 'music stream' to the living room. Our Express is primarily used as a Print-server, located in the Study, though the spare stereo is also hooked up to it for streaming music upstairs (useful for kids bath time)

9. Lebowski macrumors 6502

I have an older UFO type airport base station for my wireless, and 2 airport express' for streaming to different zones. One in the family room (media center) - which also feeds into a 2 zone reciever so i can split the signal to 6 differnent zones (family room, living room, baths, patio, garage, dining room) and the other is in the bedroom.

10. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

yeah, 2. One connected to an amp and speakers in the living room, another to a Bose Wave in the Kitchen.

and in heaven when the firmware update allowed syncronization so that the same music can fill the house.

really can't imagine living without it (or something similar)

11. Lebowski macrumors 6502

the reason i bought the things in the first place, only to find out they didnt support it for what, a year and a half, and im sure it was a SIMPLE fix in the firmware. great solution for those who cant/dont want to run wires through the walls everywhere. Great for parties when your playlist flows through every room of the house....

12. zim macrumors 65816

zim

doing it right now :D and in a bit I am going to send something to print to the one in the other room.

13. ScruffyTheMac macrumors regular

Virtually all of my at-home listening is done through Airport Express.

I use the Volume Logic plug-in to match levels from track to track, and Airfoil to stream post-Volume Logic audio to the Airport Express. (iTunes sends audio to the Airport Express before a plug-in has a chance to process it.)

14. Lebowski macrumors 6502

wouldnt sound check in itunes do the same thing? normalize the levels....

15. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I used to almost daily, but not since it got fried. :(

I haven't replaced it in hopes that Apple will update it soon...ish. Come on Apple, give me streaming video as well!

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Airport Express + Apple Lossless has allowed me to throw away all 1200 of my CDs collected over the years. Now that is a joy!

17. dcv macrumors G3

Yes, I do. I have two Airport Expresses - one connects to a wired modem/router, also a printer and an amp in my "office" room (second bedroom) downstairs. The other one is upstairs in the lounge and hooks into my home cinema amp.

18. TBR macrumors 6502

Only once

I use mine to take to work and use at home just for wireless internet for the laptop. Just plug it in at work and away I go.

As far as streaming music I've only done it once. I was at a friends house and it turned into an improptue bbq. We had no music and the weather was a little iffy. Luckily I had come straight from work. After a little thought I cobbled together this...

[​IMG]

Why not just take the laptop outside? Well the weather was very changeable and could rain (and did) at any moment. This way I could keep it inside (and away from drinks etc) and still have cool music.

Why not just use on ipod in the dock? Well the iPod was empty as I was in the middle of transfering video files to a friends and had removed all the music.

Bit of a complex way to do something simple, but thats just the way I am :)

19. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Music streaming is what I primarily use my airport express for. I used to use it as a wireless range extender as well, but for some reason when trying to stream music and act as a range extender, the music stream often got interupted. So, now when I use it just for music it works about 99% of the time, instead of about 70%. It really is great though, I use it a lot when I have parties. I just pass around my PB and let people chose music. And so far my PB has withstood various beer and other drink related spills! I cant wait till i move out of my little 2 bedroom apt (with roommate) and have a big enough place to need more than one airport express! heh

20. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

21. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

My Slimdevice would be up for sale, if a 'video' Airport Express were to be introduced. The windows machine that has all our MP3's, also has a lot of our videos on it.

22. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The one thing Apple could have done, to justify the price of the Hi-Fi Speaker, was to include an AirTunes receiver - all battery powered. Would be great for the bathroom (no mains), garden etc... (no I don't have an iPod)

23. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Yes. And my Dad does too... that's how easy it is! Wish I could stream to more than one at a time though.

24. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Do you mean, stream to more than one Airport Express at a time?

Doesn't the latest iTunes have the option to stream to multiple Airport Expresses?

EDIT: Yes is does - or am I missing something

[​IMG]

25. ScruffyTheMac macrumors regular

Sound check is simply a level adjustment, and doesn't account for how the human ear percieves loudness.

Volume Logic compresses/matches dynamic range, equalizes, and matches level in real time. It's great for getting a consistent sound across a wide range of different song sources with different levels and equalizations.

Airfoil will stream to multiple destinations. (Allegedly, I've never tried it.)