Does anyone use Delicious Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lu0s3r322, Dec 30, 2006.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

I just read about the top ten most beautiful OS X apps and I downloaded Delicious Library and I must say, it's quite cool. But is it worth $40?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I use it, probably not as much as I should. Just to catalog what I have and make it easier to weed out stuff to get rid of. If I still had the collection of books I had before I moved three times in one year, it would be worth it to keep every thing in order. I rarely lend stuff out of my collections, which is a shame since this seems like one of the best features of this app.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Got it with MacHeist. Fun but not worth more than $5 to me. The kids love it. :rolleyes:

4. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

I used it and my iSight to catalog my entire collection of books (of which I have many), DVDs, and games. I love it. Each time I get something new, it is easy to zap it with the iSight and add it. Also, it is a good way to chronicle your items for insurance and also before moves.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've been using it since I got it with the MacHeist bundle.

Its usefulness is dependent on how willing you are to catalogue your media. Using iSight to read bar codes for lookup does help the fun factor but it's somewhat easier to just input the numbers through the keyboard.

I like it but I'm not obsessive enough to take care of all of my books, music, and DVDs yet.

6. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

I got it about a year ago. I had gotten it for free as am accomadation (legally) but I would deffinitely pay the $40 for it. I have a very very large DVD collection, Game collection (multiple consoles) and CD collection. I just wish I could enter my LP collection also. I dont loan things very often (especially to family :D) but the feature is cool though. I second the insurance list though. y insurance company basically told me they wouldnt beleive me if I made claim for the DVDs I have if I didnt submit this list to them and have it on file.

Kevin

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Got it with macheist and haven't installed it...I've been busy. But then again I have about 5 presents I haven't even used yet from christmas.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

You can. My girlfriend entered some of her LP's.

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I got it with Macheist, and have been trying it out. Seems like a gimmick to me; but I can understand why some people might like it. I don't personally see much of an advantage to it over my (former) Excel spreadsheet, with regards to managing my DVD collection. Sure it pulls in a lot of extra info; but since I already have the DVDs I have that info at my disposal anyway. :D

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Works fine for my LPs, those that have barcodes anyway (too lazy to manually enter the rest).

11. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

i got this with macheist. it seems pretty cool but havent used it so much. I love the iSight feature though!

12. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I think it is a nice app - I've tried the shareware version - but I think that $40 is deffintely too exprensive unless you really have a good use for it, like catalogging all your stuff cause you have too much to remember what you've got...

13. bit density macrumors 6502

Maybe... It depends

Software almost always needs to be 40 bucks for anything that approachs a full blown app. It just costs that much for programmers support and marketing, even if you are working famously out of a coffee shop.

The author does a good job of finding ways to make the product less expensive from time to time, which I think helps folks get in, where 40 bucks is too much. So I think it tends to work out for this product.

That said, this product has 2-3 nice gimmicks for it. The scanner, the UI, and the marketing story. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, it is just a crap cataloger and requires work of the user for not that much gain for most folk.

Definitely download the demo. Play with it. Enjoy it's creamy goodness. Then decide if it is worth it. I bought the software, twice. But I don't use it. But that's ok, in this case, I hope they use the talent to improve to better things, and in that case every sale counts.

I think they are on the forefront of new UI. A sort of web/media stylizing of computer content. Especially on the Mac. This movement will, I think, create new ways of solving old problems. And sometimes it will work and sometimes not. But I think there is something there (as someone once said).

14. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

Delicious Library certainly has some unique and semi-worthy qualities to it, but I believe the real question of its usability lies within the person who utilizes it.

I too received the application w/ the MacHeist bundle, and fiddled with it for about 20 minutes, and have only touched it a couple of times since then [one of which to show off its appeal to non-Mac friends].

What has stopped me from using it is the tedious process I am going to have to endure to begin cataloging all of my junk. If you have the time/energy to catalog all of your current collection, so that in the future all you have must do whenever you buy a new item is open up DL and enter it in, then I can certainly see the advantage of this program.

I guess it is just a personal decision. I'm sure I'd appreciate the program 100x more if all of my items were already cataloged so I could be in the aforementioned situation of scanning only when I got a new item.

:shrug:

15. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

It's an alright program. I just don't like how not everything gets scanned properly. As in, it doesn't have a picture, or doesn't get info full stop.

16. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

I've been using Delicious Library for a little over a year, and have ~1200 books and 800 movies cataloged. It works well, and with the portable barcode scanner I purchased from them, inputting new books/movies is a snap. I pick up the scanner, wave it over the book's/movie's barcode, startup Delicious Library and it adds the item(s) to the database automatically, downloading the artwork from the web.

The only downside I've had is its terrible printing functionality. My library is so large, I typically keep a printout lying around for ready access when I want to select a book or movie to view, but that functionality forces me to continue to maintain my old Filemaker Pro database manually, which is a pain.

Late last summer, they said they were working along on version 2.0, which was supposed to incorporate a robust printing facility to format output reports from the database, which has kept me in the fold. Then later in the fall, they suggested that they'd finally be coming out with version 2.0 around MacWorld SF, which again has kept me on the string.

Now today I discovered that version 2.0 has been delayed for Leopard, which we know is at least another quarter away, and I'm becoming concerned that their success may have gone a bit to their head and they've been spending their time on stuff other than programming.

They only post to their website's blog every few months, and then only to say 2.0 will be great, so I'm beginning to lose the faith.

All that said, Delicious Library is a great first effort, the interface is gorgeous, adding records is a breeze with barcode scanning, and the program is easy and fun to use. Even if you have to update the individual records manually because the data can't be pulled down from the Internet, the interface is clean and easy to use. If it had a decent way to print reports from the database, I wouldn't care if they ever upgraded it, but exporting records into Excel is not acceptable.

I'm very close to shelving it for awhile, as I tediously continue to update my old FileMaker Pro database. Printouts are necessary not just for ready offline access, but for easily updated insurance records, and I don't care to spend an afternoon exporting and formatting to accomplish that when FileMaker Pro will print the report with the simple execution of a script.

17. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I own it, use it, and really like it. I think $40 is a bit steep, though.

18. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

I like the idea and had tried out an early demo, but as others have said it may not have enough for $40. The version I had tried ran sluggish on my mac which made it a turn off. I have a large library of books, i wouldn't mind scanning in with my isight. I also have alot of notes on these books that I would like to input, but most catalogues that I've tried if they have a note section its really small. Oh well...

19. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I got it also like others with MacHeist and its definitly not worth 40 for the software. I use DVDpedia (Also Uses iSight) to index my DVD's and thought I would try and export it to Delicious since SVSpedia gives you the option of exporting it to Del. However, Del will not read it. Queried the makers of Del and basically got the response that Del cannot read the output (Export) from another software mfg. Okay, so what can you export. Tried a couple of methods that they suggested to no avail. It looks nice but for the money I will stick with DVDpedia until Del gets better. But 40 dollars, sorry.....

Bill......