Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I never do, and am wondering if I should keep it installed. For music files I use Audio Hijack, Audacity, iTunes, etc., but I don't create music, so, why do I need it?

If I am missing out, I would appreciate anyone that does use GarageBand successfully to share how they use it.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I use Logic Pro X quite frequently, which is basically Garage Band Pro nowadays.

Garage Band is great for people learning to play music. It's also a fun toy for more advanced musicians who are not super familiar with digital music. Garage Band can be a decent "notepad" for musical ideas, though I usually lean towards Logic just because of how limited Garage Band is.

Logic Pro X is one of the best tools for a song writer/composer. For $200 you get all kinds of awesome plugins, instruments, and samples. Are they the best things in the world? No. But they are good. With all the content you get with Logic, there isn't a better tool for the money in my opinion. Garage Band is just a watered down version of this.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I use Logic Pro X quite frequently, which is basically Garage Band Pro nowadays.

Garage Band is great for people learning to play music. It's also a fun toy for more advanced musicians who are not super familiar with digital music. Garage Band can be a decent "notepad" for musical ideas, though I usually lean towards Logic just because of how limited Garage Band is.

Logic Pro X is one of the best tools for a song writer/composer. For $200 you get all kinds of awesome plugins, instruments, and samples. Are they the best things in the world? No. But they are good. With all the content you get with Logic, there isn't a better tool for the money in my opinion. Garage Band is just a watered down version of this.

Thank you for replying. I'm reading that the app can take up as much as 20GB+ including added library folders. I'm not a music author, just audio file collector. Hope others will respond.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you have no intent of ever creating music, I will guess that you can safely delete GarageBand and its libraries without any problems...

Reactions: Cayden and xb2003

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
If you use another DAW, one reason to keep Garageband around is that you can use it to edit and export ringtones for your iPhone. :)

Reactions: satcomer

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
My favorite GB is version 6, the version with Magic GarageBand - it runs on Sierra, so I'm happy. I'm an idiot related to creating music with instruments - I was too busy working on my multiple engineering degrees - but I do know what I like, and Magic GB gives me a great starting point that gets imported into GB v10. I bought MainStage to get at most of the additional content that's included with Logic Pro X - a friend of mine uses Logic Pro X quite often and it's amazing (to me) to watch her work with that app!

I like to use both GB apps when the GF offers to me that it's time to get lost for a while. No, I don't need GB but it's more entertaining then sitting the rain fishing for fish that taste like river bottom, playing golf (ugh), or watching football (on either side of The Pond). My friend has appropriated some of my digital creations and made them sound pretty awesome, so I'm keeping both versions of GB on my Mac! Cheers!

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
My favorite GB is version 6, the version with Magic GarageBand - it runs on Sierra, so I'm happy. I'm an idiot related to creating music with instruments - I was too busy working on my multiple engineering degrees - but I do know what I like, and Magic GB gives me a great starting point that gets imported into GB v10. I bought MainStage to get at most of the additional content that's included with Logic Pro X - a friend of mine uses Logic Pro X quite often and it's amazing (to me) to watch her work with that app!

I like to use both GB apps when the GF offers to me that it's time to get lost for a while. No, I don't need GB but it's more entertaining then sitting the rain fishing for fish that taste like river bottom, playing golf (ugh), or watching football (on either side of The Pond). My friend has appropriated some of my digital creations and made them sound pretty awesome, so I'm keeping both versions of GB on my Mac! Cheers!

Have you ever tried Crappie? More tender and less fishy than catfish, and isn't a bottom feeder.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Have you ever tried Crappie? More tender and less fishy than catfish, and isn't a bottom feeder.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves. Did gyre and gimble in the wabe? All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.