Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekkid Fish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
So Cal
My Mac is at the Apple store right now, so I have no choice but to check my me.com email online. It is sooooo painful ... like trying to run through mud!

I am using the latest version of Firefox. Does MobileMe prefer another browser? Is there anything I can do to make it faster?

I might not have the Mac back for a few days, and having to check email online is causing me to get a major headache, because it is sooooo slow!

Thanks bunches! Jules

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Me.com has always had performance issues, it's less noticeable with--wait for it--Safari.

I stopped using MobileMe a few months ago for e-mail, calendar, and just about everything else.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
I can't use my primary domain / email with MM... I would rather stop using email then use MM online email. Apple mail all the way...

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I never use MM for mail - for the past 6 years I've had a FastMail account and have been highly satisfied with their service and their functionality; MM mail is so painfully slow, especially compared to the FastMail webmail interface.

I really only use MM for the centralized calendars and contacts (great for sharing w/ my wife) and for the Find My iPhone feature.

G2244

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Welcome to my horribly slow email world (during the work day). I use Safari for Windows at work to check my mm account and it has gotten to the point of being almost unusable for me. Firefox is no better. It seems like it has gotten a lot worse over the last month or two. I am just hoping it is temporary whilst they move everything over to their giant server farm in NC.

Seriously, it takes over a minute to switch between folders or refresh my inbox. :(

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
I never use MM for mail - for the past 6 years I've had a FastMail account and have been highly satisfied with their service and their functionality; MM mail is so painfully slow, especially compared to the FastMail webmail interface.

I really only use MM for the centralized calendars and contacts (great for sharing w/ my wife) and for the Find My iPhone feature.

+1 for the Fastmail; though I forward to Google for the storage. MM is horrible. Liked it okay for the first couple of months, but then experienced horrible connection issues and got frustrated with the limited functionality.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I see I'm not the only one frustrated with how bad the browser experience is with mobile me.

I'm a windows user and I find myself reaching for the iPad or iPhone if I need to type an emial. Really sucks if I need to add an attachment from my windows desktop.

It's comically bad. It's the worst apple product I have ever touched. iTunes for windows coming in at a close second (and it's not too bad these days)

THIS IS A PREMIUM SERVICE!!!! I'm glad I get my codes on amazon for $50 a year.

Nekkid Fish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
So Cal
I see I'm not the only one frustrated with how bad the browser experience is with mobile me.

I'm a windows user and I find myself reaching for the iPad or iPhone if I need to type an emial. Really sucks if I need to add an attachment from my windows desktop.

It's comically bad. It's the worst apple product I have ever touched. iTunes for windows coming in at a close second (and it's not too bad these days)

THIS IS A PREMIUM SERVICE!!!! I'm glad I get my codes on amazon for $50 a year.

Code on Amazon? You mean you pay $50 instead of the $99 a year? Please share!!

Here is what I did, and it works 100% better. I went into MobileMe email (online, not on the Mac) and in the 'preferences' I set it to forward all emails to my Gmail account.

I was able to go through 100 emails on Gmail in a matter of minutes, where that would have taken hours on MobileMe.

HUGz! Jules

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana

Here is what I did, and it works 100% better. I went into MobileMe email (online, not on the Mac) and in the 'preferences' I set it to forward all emails to my Gmail account.

I was able to go through 100 emails on Gmail in a matter of minutes, where that would have taken hours on MobileMe.

HUGz! Jules

I started doing that and then wondered why the hell I was wasting $50 on MM lol. I just stopped using it. Save the $50 towards your next iPhone if you lose it. :)

Nekkid Fish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
So Cal
I started doing that and then wondered why the hell I was wasting $50 on MM lol. I just stopped using it. Save the $50 towards your next iPhone if you lose it. :)

Can you clarify? Do you still use the mail app on your Mac? You just don't have the MM account?

Or, are you saying you don't use your Mac email at all?

I cannot find a way to forward emails in the Mac email ... I only can find that option in the online MM account.

HUGz! Jules

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010

Search for "MobileMe Old Version" on Amazon. I got mine for around $50 in October. The price changes depending on the vendor. Right now the cheapest it can be had for is $42.13 (holy crap!) Pay attention to shipping too!

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC288Z-..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1289594131&sr=8-1

It definitely works on renewals and I'm pretty sure you can just got to me.com/activate for new ones. As a bonus, you get a pair of the cool Apple stickers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.