Does anyone with the U-socket know if it will charge the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jmpage2, Apr 6, 2010.

1. macrumors 68030

jmpage2

2. macrumors G4

Would you mind explaining the logic of asking this question after you purchased the product?

3. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

If it truly provides 600 milliamps of current, it should charge your iPad. However, it won't charge it as quickly as the supplied power adapter that comes with the iPad. It will probably take about twice as long with that 600mah wall plug. I've been reading that the supplied power adapter takes about 4 hours to fully recharge an iPad. Personally, I have no interest in a device that would take up to 8 hours. But I'm sure there are lots of folks that will just leave it plugged in overnight and be happy. Just don't go needing to recharge it in the middle of the day. :)

Mark

4. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

It will only charge with the screen off. A pc USB port is 500ma and will just about hold the ipad at it's current charge with the screen on and a by slow charge with it off. An iPhone power plug is 1amp which is better than the 600ma your looking at.

5. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

And the iPad's charging adapter is 2.1amp, even better (and faster)!

Mark

6. thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Yes, the manufacturer has not yet had time to respond and the item has not yet shipped, hence my question. :rolleyes:

7. thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Looks like this thing has been delayed until possibly October, this is the email I received today on my pre-order;