Does apple allow you to trade up?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by praterkeith, Dec 30, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

praterkeith

I have a 4th Gen. iPod that is pretty much immaculate. I've had it in a case, and even while in the case I also kept it in the plastic wrap it was originally packaged in. It gave me the folder to restore once but hasn't been a problem since.
    I'd like to trade it up for a new iPod video if they do that. Or I might just put it up in the forums marketplace....whats up guys?

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apple won't allow this, but you might find a reseller who will. Nevertheless, I reckon your best bet is to sell it privately and then buy your new one. Unfortunately, you'll need more posts before you can place it in the MacRumors marketplace (100 posts or more). :eek:

3. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

If it is immaculate as it sounds, you would get much more in the marketplace or ebay. I think apple has a trade/recycling program where you get approximately 10% off the purchase of a new iPod...not worth it in my opinion.

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting, thanks for that. They don't seem to have it in Australia.

5. macrumors 65816

Link for anyone interested in Apple's recycling efforts.

6. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Yea, I suppose its a pretty decent system they have....but only if your iPod is totally demolished and not worth anything. Otherwise...ebay or any other marketplace would be best!

7. macrumors 65816

It only seems worth it if you were trading something like a 512mb Shuffle. With 10% off you could get up to $35 off an iPod. Not sure if you'd get much more than that selling it separately. I would consider it for the convenience of dealing solely with Apple.

8. macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Apple only started that after being named one of the lest environmentally friendly computer companies in the world :rolleyes: