Does Apple Care increase value of a laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbook123, Feb 23, 2007.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm wondering whether I should purchase Apple Care for my MBP for around $300, given that I'll be selling it anyway in the summer. I bought the laptop nearly a year ago so would have to purchase it soon. I've hear negative stories about Apple Care and probably won't need it myself by the summer. Any estimates out there how much this would increase the selling price of my MPB (2.0 GHz, 2GB ram)?

Thanks

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It increases it's resale value, but not by the full $300 apple care price.

It makes it worth probably $100 more than one without, however it does improve it's desirability over one without.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I wouldn't buy a used computer that was less than 3 years old without it.

Apparently if you shop around (amazon-ebay) you can find it cheaper.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Although to be fair, it improves it's desirability with part of the target market while eliminating other parts of the target market. Lots of buyers on the used marked are there because they're price sensitive... and often also not 100% on details. So first, they might walk by your sale because your price is much higher than comparable computers w/o AppleCare, and second, they probably need education from you about why the extra service provided with your computer is worth the money.