Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
I think the title says it all

I heard many people say that it doesnt however on the warranty agreement it says...

This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, misapplication, or non-Apple products; (b) to damage caused by service performed by anyone other than Apple; (c) to a product or a part that has been modified without the written permission of Apple; or (d) if any Apple serial number has been removed or defaced

It doesnt say anything about the battery here...

I was asking this because I was thinking about buying applecare before my year ends

aznsal612

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
Yes. Bring it into the Genius Bar, and the technicians will be able to diagnose the battery, and if it doesn't pass a test for battery life, the unit will be replaced.

Also, if you're a student or teacher, you qualify for Educational discount for Applecare, which becomes $47 instead of $59. :)

wako

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
aznsal612 said:
Yes. Bring it into the Genius Bar, and the technicians will be able to diagnose the battery, and if it doesn't pass a test for battery life

What the hell?

Because I did bring it in before like after two weeks after I bought it and told them the battery wasnt lasting the 12 hours as expected and they just took a look and gave me a new one...

What kind of "tests" do they subject it to?

aznsal612

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
They calibrate it and run it through normal conditions and time the battery life. If it doesn't show significant battery loss that merits replacement, they don't replace it apparently. Or that's how the protocol is at the place I work at.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
If you're just worried about batteries, you can replace them yourself using 3rd party solutions from NewerTechnology. Their batteries offer up to a 70% increase in capacity over Apple's batteries, and they range in price from $25 to $30 and include all necessary installation tools.

Additionally, it may be more expensive, though if you plan on keeping your iPod for awhile another solution may be TechRestore's iPod Battery Freedom which offers lifetime battery replacements for your iPod for just $99.

matanga

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2005
I bought a 4th Gen 20G iPod and today I have ran both the continuous shuffle and reoeat song tests. I get 9 and a half and 10 hours of uninterrupted run time respectively. does my iPod have a problem or does that sound right ? I heard the iPod should play for 12 hours when the repeat song test is performed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.