Does Apple offer the OS upgrade price for refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spooks99, Nov 13, 2006.

1. spooks99 macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm new to this forum--love the wealth of information here! Anyways, I was wondering...I'm planning on purchasing a refurb C2D MB sometime next spring (when I will, hopefully, actually have some money to my name). I assume that if I purchased a refurb shortly after Leopard is available in stores, the MB would probably only have Tiger installed, but would I still be eligible for the reduced upgrade price?

Thanks!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They offered Tiger discs with refurbs that came with Panther installed, so I'd imagine it will be the same next time around.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

As long as you buy your system within Apple's upgrade window, they'll throw in
    an update DVD or sell you one at a nominal fee.

4. spooks99 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Not so fast.

I bought a refurb right around when Tiger came out, but definitely, positively in the upgrade window. I ordered on the phone, and the salesman told me that I'd be eligible for the upgrade. But when I sent in the form and the all the information required, I was told I wasn't eligible. The model numbers that they assign to refurbs weren't among the list of eligible products.

It took me a dozen phone calls to my salesman, and more to numerous other people, and about a month to get my copy of Tiger.

Read the fine print of the form that you have to fill out to receive the upgrade discs. You'll likely find that a refurb won't be eligible, and, if you don't get a salesman to say that it'll be included (and aren't willing to jump through some serious hoops), you might find yourself without the newest version of the OS.

6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I bought my Powerbook a few days BEFORE Panther came out, and when it came out I called them and they sent me a Panther disc for the cost of postage.

7. JAT macrumors 603

But you got it, right? Sounds like an idiot CSR rather than a company policy. Even Apple has some idiots working for them.

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The good thing is that Apple will likely announce the launch date for Leopard, just like they did for Tiger. That way you'll know when to time your purchase so that you'll get a copy of Leopard dropped into the box for free.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yeah, I got it...after a lot of hassle.

According to all the paperwork that I looked at (after I bought the machine), I wasn't eligible. Since they change the model numbers for refurbs, they weren't listed on the list in the fine print of the upgrade form. And judging by the amount of difficulty I had in getting my salesman to get me a copy, I think that the CSRs I talked to were right, and my salesman made a promise that he shouldn't have.

10. spooks99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm...I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. :(

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're probably better off waiting a month or so after Leopard has been released to get the Up-to-date disc in the box.