Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GSX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Hi,

I was showing my family my HTPC setup with my Mac Mini running Plex and Front Row. My Uncle and his wife really liked the photo slide shows produced with Front Row. She has asked if they could do something similar for their photos.

I thought that an Apple TV would be a good low-cost way to view their photos. Plus they might like the music and video functionality too. However, they are currently Windows users.

So I am wondering can an Apple TV work with Windows? I tried looking around, but I couldn't really find a definite answer. If the Apple TV is compatible with Windows how can they see photos on their TV? I know music and videos would come from iTunes, but I'm not sure about photos.

Thanks for the help.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
Yes, it works fine with Windows. Apple TV's only requirement is iTunes and iTunes works on Windows. That is what I currently use is Windows. Hopefully that will change soon.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Note that ATV 2 is really much more of a standalone product. It can work without any PC or Mac with iTunes.

Video can be rented directly from iTunes (no storage so you can't buy without a PC/Mac) or streamed from Netflix/Youtube, and Photos from MobileMe/Flickr. No cloud solution yet for music. Would be great if Pandora was included in the next rev.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.