Does Apple use black projection screens at their events?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jodles, Jun 6, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

At the keynote's they always have such nice deep blacks (or maybe it's just the poor compression on YouTube...), but I'm really curious as to what products they might be using. Obviously everything around the projection screen is black, but have anyone been to these events and seen it live? Is it just a normal white/grey projection screen and a really powerful projector?

2. macrumors 6502

no a definitive answer, but with a good projector and a projectionist that knows how to calibrate it properly you can get amazing images like you see in the movies.

3. macrumors regular

For a lot of these presentations, rear-projection is the way to go.

4. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And, I'm pretty sure, the way it is done. And you'd be surprised what that little clicker they hold actually does.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely not rear-projection on all of them. I've seen shadows on at least one keynote from 2012 (not much, but just typically when they walk on/off they sometimes go closer to the screen). Think it varies a bit. Trying to find that one on YT now:)

6. macrumors regular

Usually they use rear-projection for the Keynote. Typically, a rear projection screen is a dark grey.

Source: I work in production.

7. macrumors 6502a

I believe it activates a servo-controlled pokey stick* in the projection room that pokes the projector operator in the head reminding him to advance to the next slide. Then a peanut slides down a chute for him. You need to incentivise employees.

*the Apple iStick®, not to be confused with the Eye Stick, invented by Moses Horwitz in 1921