iPad Does Apple usually replace iPad 3's with iPad 4's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by britneyfan, Mar 15, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

I have a 64 GB Verizon 3rd gen and I was wondering if they've been known to swap it out for a 4th gen?

Just wondering... not that I really want one.

2. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

I'm sure they have piles of iPad 3's

3. macrumors regular

Our iPad 3 was replaced with a 4 the other week. :cool:

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

was there an ongoing problem with the iPad 3?

5. macrumors 6502

No way they did that. They're not allowed to do that as they have to *exchange* your product for the same one (hence why they ask for your serial number).

6. macrumors 65816

What is with the sense of entitlement some seem to have around here? People expect Apple to just upgrade users to the latest version for free?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it would be refreshing to zip it with the holier than thou "entitlement" rant that's been rehashed to a point of exhaustion by many, many, many users on this forum. Be your own person. Hell, even use a synonym.

Did I say anything about wanting one? No. I was just wondering. Do I feel "entitled" to one? No.
    Did I say, "I should get one because apple HAS to?" Absolutely not. Are you overreacting? Probably.

I was wondering what they do, so if I get mine replaced, I'll know if I need to have an extra charger or not. Is that what you wanted to know so that you can sleep better at night knowing that Apple, a multi-billion dollar business, will save $600 (and probably not even close to that)?

And it actually has happened, believe it or not, judging from the many posts on this forum.

I'm not just singling you out, it's a ton of people on here who are so quick to attack about a sense of "entitlement" when it's unwarranted.

8. macrumors regular

I also got a 4th gen after swapping a 3rd gen. They didn't have any 3rd gen in stock so i gave my 3rd gen and 30 pin cable and they gave me a 4th gen with a lightning cable. They will only do this if there is no 3rd gen of your particular model in stock. Mine was Verizon 64GB white.

9. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

Verizon 64 white is a more obscure / less popular SKU I'd imagine.

16 wifi-ers I'd say no wayyyyy

Still, that's awesome and I'm happy for ya (if you we're eyeing the ipad 4 all along)

10. macrumors G3

charlituna

In general no. Your warranty is like for like. Even when you pay for 'warranty' repairs its still like for like

On a rare occasion when they are low in parts they will allow managers to make the call to upgrade you for that repair rather than make you wait for a replacement of the correct item. But if you bring that item in later you could be reverted back to the original model

11. macrumors 6502a

Judging by the OP's response to IEvolution on entitlement - yep the OP is feeling entitled and is checking around to see if in fact 4s are given as replacements for 3s. OPs wording is clear.

12. britneyfan, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502

Even if I did feel entitled, it's nothing for you to worry about and I wouldn't learn a lesson from the response you just gave.

Do you have anything more constructive to do than sit around an Internet forum trying to judge whether or not someone feels "entitled" or not?

I'm also surprised that you're able to judge how I feel over plain text. That's a wonder. Where's there an opening for a job as an Internet psychologist? Because a bunch of people on MacRumors certainly can fill that position and monetize their time.

By the way, if I ever wanted an iPad 4, my 3rd gen would be sold, shipped, and the money would be in my hand getting ready to purchase the 4th.

13. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I think only on rare occasions that this wouldn't be the case.

14. thread starter macrumors 6502

Very nice response by the both of you. It's what I needed to know.

Thank you all. I appreciate the help. :)

15. macrumors 65816

I'm sure if they swapped every ipad 3 for an ipad 4, they'd lose alot more than 600$.

16. thread starter macrumors 6502

How so?
    Generally it costs $350 to make an iPad. Add all the extra internals that I paid for and the Apple Care that I paid for, will maybe come up to $550.
    I paid over $1000 altogether for this iPad.

And if they were to give me a 4th gen, the only thing different is the processor. Which I'm sure doesn't cost more than $100.

And who mentioned EVERY iPad 3?

17. macrumors 6502

Well I just had to shell out money to upgrade to iPad 4. If you get a free upgrade to the 4 I'm going to file a complaint with my state representative.

18. macrumors 65816

If they swap one persons ipad 3 for an ipad 4, it won't stop there. More people will demand an ipad 4 for their ipad 3.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

They already have done that because of stock issues. And I hope most people understand that they don't deserve an iPad 4, as they bought a 3rd gen.

----------

That doesn't sound right.
    Explain the situation.

20. macrumors 6502

What doesn't sound right? Most people have to spend money to upgrade to the latest device. I returned the iPad mini within the 14 day period after I bought it, and paid the $180 difference to upgrade to the iPad 4.

21. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

Good luck arguing that one :D

Just because they make exceptions doesn't make that the rule.

22. macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I believe there was a point where some Apple Stores in the US were swapping 3rd gens for 4th gens as long as you purchased it within 30 days.

23. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

Yep I remember hearing about that as well

24. thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a completely different (and fair) situation.

25. macrumors 68000

Medic311

they have massive stockpiles of iPad 3's - don't worry, you will never get an iPad 4 instead of an iPad 3 replacement