Does Apple want people to rip their own DVDs and watch them on the new video iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kathymoore, Oct 13, 2005.

1. kathymoore macrumors newbie

Does Apple want(or officialy permit) people to rip their own DVDs and watch them on the new video iPod?

Isn't this the same as ripping my own purchased CD with iTunes and listening to them on my audio-only iPod? :)

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Well it's illegal in America to re-encode DVDs but that law isn't very well enforced. Apple will not be able to stop you from putting DVD's on your iPod, but they won't be promoting it.

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

http://diveintomark.org/howto/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

It would be nice if Apple worked out a deal with the movie industry. They would allow DVD ripping in iTunes with DRM (limit to only 1 iPod, and time limit as well to prevent amassing movies via NetFlix.)

Instead, anyone can get these 2 free programs and make DRM-free rips.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Of course they want you to. But they'll not say a WORD about it until they start getting movie deals on iTMS. Apple wants to control distribution for music, TV and movies, it just takes time to get there.

macbaseball is right, it's illegal to screw with DVD encoding, thanks to the DCMA. Of course, that doesn't stop anyone that's determined... And eventually, thanks to broadband, movie piracy will be as bad as music piracy, so they'll all want Apple's help then.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'll definitely be doing this... the law may say one thing, but my interpretation of fair use is that as long as the ripped video remains in my possession, there's no copyright violation. It's really no different from ripping CDs into MP4s or WMAs for your own use.

6. the_freddinator macrumors regular

7. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I will too. It's not ripping off the people in the movie if you paid them for the DVD. I feel morally wrong downloading music without compensating the artist, but with DVD's I compensated the cast and producers by buying it.

8. Cfg5 macrumors regular

I don't think they care. If they expect people to buy a new iPod to watch 5 shows then they're crazy.

Hopefully they get more shows on the itms.

9. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Of course, but they won't say so. ;) Not only will it help iPod sales, it may convince some that they need to upgrade their computer to speed up ripping time.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I did an "Export Video to iPod" in QT Pro yesterday, and it took around half an hour to encode a 4-minute music video! This is on a 2 GHz G5. Is HandBrake faster? I'd hate to do a full-length movie at that speed.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've been encoding some TV eps from DVD to .mp4 lately.

Using Handbrake to turn the episode into a 320x240 (or 320x176 for widescreen episodes) .mp4 file at 750kbps and 80kbps AAC audio turns a half hour episode into a ~160MB file in around 1.25 hours on my 1.2GHz iBook.

Not too bad, I just hope the iPod can play them if I ever get one (Carn Christmas!!) They work in iTunes no problem so fingers crossed eh?

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Which here is also illegal..... :D :D

I'm a very naughty boy....