Does AppleCare cover theft?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by InsanelyApple, Dec 7, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

I may get an iPad soon, and I was wondering if I got AppleCare if it would cover theft. Answer?

2. macrumors 68030

Hell-to-the-no. It's an extension of their hardware failure coverage (due to manufacturing defects). No coverage for abuse, breakage or theft. Look elsewhere for that.

3. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Dude, it doesn't even cover accidental damage. I'm not sure if there is a 3rd party insurance that covers those things? If there is, like I have for my iPhone 4, there is always like a $10/month charge and at least a $200 deductible. As I always say, it's better than paying the $600 or whatever tho.

5. macrumors newbie

Squaretrade

Square trade is pretty good and they cover almost everything from normal use to hardware failures but I do not think they cover for theft and it is half the price of AppleCare and you can usually find a coupon. Your homeowners insurance would cover theft but you would have to pay that deductible.

6. macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

NO, I mean, of course not. Why would they?

btw can you prove theft?

7. macrumors 68020

You may be able to claim it under your home owners insurance, but the deductible will likely be more then the device itself.

8. macrumors G3

AC is a warranty, not insurance.

9. macrumors 65816

Short Answer: NO

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously though, if want theft insurance, check out www.safeware.com . No, I am not affiliated with them in any way, just offering a suggestion.

10. macrumors 68040

maturola

No

No, AppleCare is mare an Manufacture's Warranty, it is NOT a Insurance, it is not a replacement Program. It cover Manufacturing issues.

11. macrumors member

Wow, ask a simple question... ;)

But, yeah, Applecare is just for manufacturing defects/hardware failures.

For iPads, the two most common insurance plans I have seen are:
    Squaretrade which covers accidental damage, but NOT theft
    and
    Worth Ave Group which covers accidental damage and theft (with a police report, I believe).

Read the coverage info closely, since I think they probably only cover up to the original value. So, say you drop it and need a screen replacement, they would cover that. (Say $100 just to pick a number.) Later on it is lost or stolen, I *think* they would only cover the remaining cost after the screen replacement. So only $399 for a $499 iPad.

It's still a whole lot better than nothing, and perfectly fine if you only lose it once, but be sure to read the terms.

Also, as others have said, homeowners/renters insurance can usually cover theft, but considering deductibles, it's not much help unless you have a lot of other stuff stolen or another claim later in the year for whatever else (since in the second case, the deductible could be used up depending on the amount).

So Applecare is great for defects and hardware failures, but doesn't do anything else. If you want accidental damage or theft protection, there are options out there even beyond the two linked above. I just have heard the most about those two.

12. macrumors 65816

Alvi

Apple Care is an extended warranty with customer support, not an Insurance, however you can google for some Insurance companies in the US that may cover stuff like that for the same money

13. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Safeware covers both accidental damage and theft/loss.
    They even have an option for travelers who go outside the U.S. too.
    For U.S. coverage, there's no deductible. Only for overseas coverage there's a small deductible.

14. macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Theft insurance...

Attached Files:

15. macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

+1 :D that's amazing haha

16. macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Nope..