Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I may get an iPad soon, and I was wondering if I got AppleCare if it would cover theft. Answer?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I may get an iPad soon, and I was wondering if I got AppleCare if it would cover theft. Answer?

Hell-to-the-no. It's an extension of their hardware failure coverage (due to manufacturing defects). No coverage for abuse, breakage or theft. Look elsewhere for that.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Dude, it doesn't even cover accidental damage. I'm not sure if there is a 3rd party insurance that covers those things? If there is, like I have for my iPhone 4, there is always like a $10/month charge and at least a $200 deductible. As I always say, it's better than paying the $600 or whatever tho.

AWflorida

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Squaretrade

Square trade is pretty good and they cover almost everything from normal use to hardware failures but I do not think they cover for theft and it is half the price of AppleCare and you can usually find a coupon. Your homeowners insurance would cover theft but you would have to pay that deductible.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
You may be able to claim it under your home owners insurance, but the deductible will likely be more then the device itself.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Short Answer: NO

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously though, if want theft insurance, check out http://www.safeware.com . No, I am not affiliated with them in any way, just offering a suggestion.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No

No, AppleCare is mare an Manufacture's Warranty, it is NOT a Insurance, it is not a replacement Program. It cover Manufacturing issues.

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Wow, ask a simple question... ;)

But, yeah, Applecare is just for manufacturing defects/hardware failures.

For iPads, the two most common insurance plans I have seen are:
Squaretrade which covers accidental damage, but NOT theft
and
Worth Ave Group which covers accidental damage and theft (with a police report, I believe).

Read the coverage info closely, since I think they probably only cover up to the original value. So, say you drop it and need a screen replacement, they would cover that. (Say $100 just to pick a number.) Later on it is lost or stolen, I *think* they would only cover the remaining cost after the screen replacement. So only $399 for a $499 iPad.

It's still a whole lot better than nothing, and perfectly fine if you only lose it once, but be sure to read the terms.

Also, as others have said, homeowners/renters insurance can usually cover theft, but considering deductibles, it's not much help unless you have a lot of other stuff stolen or another claim later in the year for whatever else (since in the second case, the deductible could be used up depending on the amount).

So Applecare is great for defects and hardware failures, but doesn't do anything else. If you want accidental damage or theft protection, there are options out there even beyond the two linked above. I just have heard the most about those two.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Apple Care is an extended warranty with customer support, not an Insurance, however you can google for some Insurance companies in the US that may cover stuff like that for the same money

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Safeware covers both accidental damage and theft/loss.
They even have an option for travelers who go outside the U.S. too.
For U.S. coverage, there's no deductible. Only for overseas coverage there's a small deductible.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Theft insurance...

Attachments

• 20mm.jpg
    20mm.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 495
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.