Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
When I asked this exact question to the person who sold me my iPad at the Apple store he said only iPad itself is covered. Peripherals only get their warranty coverage, no more.

Reactions: eagleglen

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I was told by Apple that they are covered if you purchase everything together in one receipt. So iPad, pencil, keyboard and AC. But that's just what they said and I didn't expect it. If it does great...

Reactions: KiwiAdventure

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I was told by Apple that they are covered if you purchase everything together in one receipt. So iPad, pencil, keyboard and AC. But that's just what they said and I didn't expect it. If it does great...
Surprised if true. That's not what it says on Apple's support page.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012

That's AppleCare for Macs, not AppleCare+ for iPhones and iPads.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Interesting info it is true with AppleCare that if you buy something else at the time it gets covered. So I bought my MacBook Pro Dec 2014 and got a SuperDrive for £35-40 and it too is covered. Was a selling point of getting it at the time.

AppleCare+ though only covers the actual device. I don't have it for my iPhone but I would recommend getting it for an iPad Pro.

My phone lives inside a case with a cover but has loads of micro scratches to the screen. It is the coating Apple has applied which is crap on the 6S+. However something soze of an iPad which is thin and has a larger display area along with being more cumbersome than a phone is definitely a damage risk so should be protected.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Yes AppleCare + covers everything purchased at the time of buying for your iPad. Even the old AppleCare does as well.

I've had Apple iPad coveres replaced 20 months old.

I always get AppleCare + for all my Apple products as I get a higher price when selling usually 2 months before it expires.

New Zealand comsummer law is all products must last for resumable time even if the warranty has finished.

Reactions: gameboy213

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
These replies certainly are inconclusive. I will go to the Apple Store and ask them.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
I read this -- AC+ Terms and Conditions purchased on or after Sept. 9, 2015 -- as saying yes, an Apple branded keyboard and pencil would be covered if purchased with your iPad :

1. The Plan. This contract (the “Plan”) governs the hardware service and technical support provided to you by Apple under the above-mentioned plans paid for on either a one-time basis (“Single Pay”) or a monthly basis (“Monthly Pay”). The Plan covers the Apple-branded iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple Watch or, Apple Watch Sport and the Apple-branded accessories contained in its original packaging (“Covered Device”) listed on your proof of coverage document (“Plan Confirmation”).
http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusnaen.html
(Directly above quote and link concern the US terms.)

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I went to the Apple Store and asked. The keyboard and pencil are covered for two year as is the iPad, but not for accidental damage. Considering the price range the Pro has gotten into, I think I will add AppleCare+.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
These replies certainly are inconclusive. I will go to the Apple Store and ask them.
From my experience, no. The tip of my Apple Pencil broke and AppleCare+ did not cover it. It was $79 for a replacement (which is the deductible on AppleCare+, anyway).

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I went to the Apple Store and asked. The keyboard and pencil are covered for two year as is the iPad, but not for accidental damage. Considering the price range the Pro has gotten into, I think I will add AppleCare+.

Now I went to the Apple Store to actually buy AppleCare+. And then I got the opposite reply: no, AppleCare+ does not cover the keyboard and pencil. So, not even Apple Store employees really know the answer. But I think the latest answer must be correct, as it agrees with what is stated on the website.

That's $250 excluded from coverage, so I'm not so sure I will add AppleCare+.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Now I went to the Apple Store to actually buy AppleCare+. And then I got the opposite reply: no, AppleCare+ does not cover the keyboard and pencil. So, not even Apple Store employees really know the answer. But I think the latest answer must be correct, as it agrees with what is stated on the website.

That's $250 excluded from coverage, so I'm not so sure I will add AppleCare+.
Jeepers, different answers. Apple needs to be clear with this. Thanks for the update.

I'm not arguing with you but on an iPad specific AC page (US):

3.2 Covered Equipment

In addition to the Apple-branded product and accessories contained in the original packaging, “Covered Equipment” includes an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, and Time Capsule, if used with the Covered Equipment and originally purchased by you no earlier than two years before the Covered Equipment purchase.
http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appforipadnaen.html

Maybe it's different for the pencil and keyboard.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.