Does Applecare keep record of accidental damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astrid87, Jan 22, 2007.

1. astrid87 macrumors newbie

I just sent my Macbook Pro into Apple for repair. The hardware test indicated that one of the fans was not working, and the computer was generally slow, hard to start up, and was freezing a lot. Unfortunately, I DROPPED the laptop. I had all these problems before I dropped it. I ran the hardware test again after I dropped it, and it still only showed that the fan was not working.

But of course, I can't tell Apple that because it sounds like a stupid excuse. So I got the quote from them -- $900!

Now I just discovered MacService (http://macservice.com) and called them. They suggested that since I dropped it and there was damage to the casing, they could replace the casing and I could try to send it in to Apple since it would look like I never dropped it, and they could still repair it under the warranty. Problem, of course - I ALREADY sent it in to Apple!

MacService has reasonable prices, however I did not know the fan was part of the logic board, and their repair price for that is $695.

I would like to know, does Apple keep a record of the fact that there was accidental damage to my laptop? If I were to get the casing replaced and take it to an Apple store for repair, would they know by entering my Macbook's serial number or something that it was accidentally damaged, due to my experience with AppleCare?

I really need an answer to this so any suggestions / answers are really appreciated. Thanks!

2. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

3. astrid87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, but I'm not planning to send it in to AppleCare again, I'm planning to take it to an Apple Store if I get the casing replaced. Is there any way for them to find out about my AppleCare service when they enter my serial number or something?

Or will they just assume that it's still under the warranty (are all Macbook Pros still under the 1-year warranty right now?)

4. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

they keep a record of everything!

Whats funnier is when i made a formal complaint and also requested all my records they held on me to find out that they said i had been rude and abusive to telephone staff which was utter crap!

They retracted those portions of the record after my solicitor sent them a lil letter.

5. astrid87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think since my warranty was voided due to the accidental damage, that this fact is now forever tied to my serial number? I just want to know, if I go to a Mac store and they look up my serial number or something, will it show that my warranty is no longer valid?

I need to find an Apple store employee or something .. hmm.

6. oceanmonster macrumors regular

I'd defiantly take it to an Apple Genius Bar. It is more likely they will replace it there than sending it off.

7. astrid87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking since it hasn't been a year since the Macbooks were released yet, they will assume it's still under the warranty if I get the casing replaced and it looks brand-new. I'm just worried that when they enter my serial number, I'll be screwed.

I have to take it to a different Mac store than I usually go to, because I took it to that one with the damage visible... hehe.

8. astrid87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just entered the serial number at http://apple.com/support , and it says

I wonder if all the serial number shows is your personal information and the date of purchase?

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Why did you tell them you dropped it?

I fell on my iPod, breaking the LCD, and sent it in without teling them.

They sent me a new one for free.

Dishonest? Yes. But worth it? For me, Yes.

10. astrid87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously? Wow. I did NOT tell them that I dropped it, it was just obvious due to the visible damage.

I think they go easier on the iPods... especially since people have reported that their LCD breaks easily.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, their internal system shows much more than that. Since you got as far as Apple giving you a quote for the repair, I would think that it would be in your record that would be pulled up whenever your serial number is entered.

12. astrid87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I knew I should have just got the casing replaced before I sent it in to them... too bad I had no idea that their quote would be so high, or else that's exactly what I would have done :mad:

Maybe if I get the casing replaced and take it to an Apple Store ASAP that information won't be in their system just yet? Ugh, this sucks :(

Maybe if it comes up at the Apple Store I can just dispute the fact that there was ever accidental damage. ............. :(

13. Keebler macrumors 68030

you can't expect a company to cover your accidents. i know you didn't mean it, but c'mon..expecting them to foot the bill?

bite the bullet and get it fixed on your own dime.

and people wonder why service costs don't go down...

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

To be fair, the OP claims that his MBP suffered from the problems before he dropped. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but without any evidence to support that claim, Apple will certainly rule against him.

15. astrid87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, what he said. The drop itself didn't cause any new problems as far as I can tell, and as far as the hardware test is concerned. Just terrible luck on my part, I guess.

And that's the truth ... why would I lie about it on a messageboard? I didn't tell Apple that though, because it sounds like a made-up excuse.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Allegedly. We don't know it's true.
    But I for one would bite the bullet and get it repaired since I dropped it myself. If you can get away with it and sleep well then I bid you good luck. It's just to each is own I say. :)

17. astrid87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha. Thanks :)

18. mattjoga macrumors newbie

I am having a similar issue (several faults, one caused recently by accidental damage, others that have existed for longer that are not from accidental damage, which I can prove).

The warranty says accidental damage is not covered - fair enough.

I see nothing that says 'warranty is void once accidental damage has ocurred' or that a case of accidental damage voids Apple's responsibility to make good product defects, before or after the 'accident'.

Does anyone know any different?