Does being a mac user change the way you look at life?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by whw5, Jul 21, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    I was wondering the other day, Does the fact that you use mac make you act different in life then you would have normally? I mean do you choose doing your own thing over being a follower? Do you think, hey I use mac, that makes me different so I guess its ok to be different in life to? I mean as odd as this sounds, I find myself thinking sometimes, why not be different, I chose to do it with Apple and other stuff, why not in this aspect of my life? I guess in a indirect way apple sends the message do your own thing. Kinda of interesting.
  2. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    way out in the sticks
    I look at life differently therefore I choose to use a mac.
  3. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    Who would win in a fight Ditka or a hurricane?

[unanimous] Ditka.

What if the hurricane was named Hurricane Ditka?

[slight pause, and then unanimous] Ditka.

Ok, Ditka Vs God.. ?

God, in overtime.

Many seemingly trivial things have changed my life--my economics class, drugs, university life. However, owning a Mac just allowed me to shift my hobbies over to something that I could use for employment--computer know-how. Instead of building hydrogen generators and tasers in my spare time, I build web sites and write programs. Not as cool, but certainly more economical.

I think your question infers a level of silliness far greater than I could ever understand. Also, I can honestly say that your question, if viewed by Apple's marketing department, would give them the most gynormous hardon the world has ever seen. Always innovative, those Apple guys.
  4. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    Well, to be honest, it starts out just like sorryiwasdreami said. You choose mac because you already look differently. The problem is that once you get one, you get sucked in. You stop looking at life, because you're looking at your mac. Your mac becomes your life, and you stop looking at life differently, and start looking at it just like apple does. You become apple. You spend hours in front of your mac. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as it is with your mac. You can take a break once in a while, but you always go back. You come to need your mac. To feed off of it. It becomes... an addiction.
  5. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    . It becomes... an addiction.[/QUOTE]

you make it sound like a drug. lol. Your right I was just saying that at the same time I started using mac I started thinking different. Kinda of funny.
  6. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    I was only partially joking!

Anyway, glad to hear that you recently began to think a little differently (usually that's a good thing...). Please don't attribute it to your mac!! There's much more to the gift of life than many people think.
  7. m.r.m. macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2003
  8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    :eek: Ummm dude its an OS not a freaking religious experience.
  9. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    And you people wonder why people call maccy a cult
  10. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    im more polite on the road to others who have apple stickers.
    that's about it.. but since i've been doing that since i started driving, i dont think it counts. :)

I doubt that just by buying a Mac would it change your life.. an iMac isn't like dropping acid or anything. :p
  11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I happen to know several Mac users that would call using a Mac a religious experience. (including me, so the answer to the original question is a deffinate yes)
  12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I'm with you on this.

Its a computer and an OS. Its a GREAT computer, and a NICE operating system, but that is all, and if you actually started looking at life with a pair of fresh eyes after purchasing a Mac, then maybe you didn't have much of a life to begin with. :eek:

I don't "think different". I bought a Mac because I don't like viruses/virii or crashing OSes. The fact that Apple has a small marketshare is irrelevent as to why I buy an Apple product. If you bought a Mac, or any product, because you believe that you're being "different", then again, you need to get a life.
  13. powerbookje macrumors member

Jun 1, 2003
    switchers do not know what we feel, born Mac users. I am "Think different" in real life and I know it's just an OS and a computer, but it's more for me, it's a way of life, a way of looking at things. I even made a T-shirt with an rainbow Apple logo with "Think different" on it...
    I admit it, I'm addicted, I'm obsessed :D

Don't follow the herd...
  14. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Being a Mac user hasn't changed the way I look at life. I've used Apple products since before there were Macs, and I've been a big fan of the Mac. However, it hasn't changed anything about how I look at life, except, perhaps, that I do it from crappier furniture because I spent the extra to get the Macs. ;)

However, being a Mac user has made an enormous difference in my approach to computers and, specifically, to my approach to designing software in a corporate world. I find that, coming from a Mac point of view, I often tend to see things in a different, and ultimately better (from a usability point of view), way. It is irrelevent to me if I "think different" because I use Macs, or if I use Macs because I "think different".

<aside>Although, I must say, I've always thought it should be "Think Differently". Or, really, just "Think" or more appropriately "Just Think".</aside>

I enjoy using a Mac - OS and all - whereas I enjoy using Windows applications (some of them...). I've never enjoyed using Windows per se. I now expect more from a computer, so, I guess, using a Mac has at least changed my expectations - for computer-related stuff.

I've used Macs from '85-'89, from '92-'94, and from '02-now. I had a 1999 PB through work that I sort of technically opened occasionally, but not really until I put Jaguar on it a while back. So, roughly half of the past 20 years, I've used Macs. The other half, it was pre-Mac, Windows, or Solaris. Honestly, aside from when I was in front of the computer, nothing about my life was particularly different when I used Macs as opposed to when I didn't. I didn't get laid any more, or any less (though often it was due to it being impossible for it to be any less ;)). I didn't have better, or worse, complexion. I didn't get better or worse jobs, become more or less talented, have a better or worse temper, laugh more or less, etc.
  15. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Actually, I find myself singing Zippity DooDah walking down the street. And bluejays and fly around me and squirrels come up to be petted.
  16. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If you suffered through Windows for very long and then switched I think you're in a position to appreciate the Mac in a different way. My wife has only ever used Apples as far back as the Lisa. She loves them and wouldn't use anything else, but she takes their wonderfulness for granted. It was actually a big reality check for me in my last few years of Windows useage--she'd get more upset than I would when my computer wouldn't do what I wanted it to, or when I had to spend 4 hours making it do something that her Mac would do in a second and a half.

But does it change the way you look at life? I guess that depends how "into" computers or the Mac you are. It changed my outlook a little in that I'm unwilling to accept inferior products now. I'm completely intolerant now of having my time wasted.
  17. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think you posted to the wrong thread. This is the "Does being a mac user change the way you look at life?" thread. I think you're looking for the "Does constantly holding a birdfeeder change the way you look at life?" thread.

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    No... Apple simply appealed to the way I look at life.

But it did change the way I look at computers.
  19. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    That's the most it's done for me...that, and made me wonder how the heck the other 95% put UP with Windows' more irritating peccadilloes.

Of course, I've always been decidedly out of touch with the mainstream of thinking, so such contemplation always leads me back to my usual less-than-charitable view of that 95%. :p

"Just Think" would be another good mantra for a great many people.

Better stop before I get TOO misanthropic here.... :D
  20. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    It is a lot of fun.

Well I can't afford a BMW, but having a Mac makes me feel like driving a BMW at the highway. Looking at the opposite lanes I see a big traffic jam of cheap cars, many damaged, people getting angry, blowing their horns, I can't help but :D smiling :D at them.

Yep, it makes me feel good to drive my BMW and to look at the other side.
    :) :p :rolleyes: ;) :D
  21. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    *** Quick news Bulletin ***

I am sorry, but I have to interrupt this for a news alert. No, this time it is not about how I hate Lance Armstrong for showing off today, but it is about my finical situation. My iPod broke a few weeks ago and I finally decided to put it on eBay (A site I hate by the way: ugly, expensive, slow). I really wanted to get like €20 for it, as that was about what others got for their broken iPods, and I had the dream of getting €40. Well, I got one-hundred-eleven euro for it - and I declared it 'broken' multiple times, so I think I should not feel bad about it.
    An hour later my second auction ended. I had to sell the Mac that I am writing this on to afford a 17" Powerbook. It is a beautiful, silent piece of art, so useable, everything about it makes so much sense. Well, I hoped for €1200 for my one and a half year-old AppleCare-less iMac 1GHz and I got one thousand five hundred ninety euros for it. Talk about resell value here.

Additionally, Apple shipped my Powerbook today which wasn't supposed to ship until August 3rd.

Now eat my shorts. To answer the question:
    Yes, my Mac has changed the way I look at life. At the lives of people bidding at eBay particularly.
  22. radhak macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Funny, but i have been thinking along this line for some time. being the only mac owner in my whole personal (and work) circle is somewhat revelationary. i have always been a very follow-the-rules person, but my iMac has done something really big for me: i now deliberately go for choices that are not all that obvious, and am less willing to suffer minor faults of design that really cause me a lot of niggling irritation. (i even returned a cheap $30 alarm clock just because the dials and buttons were not in the 'right' place or right size; of course my wife thought i was being silly ;) )

i never thought i'd think of a computer like this, but am happy anyway. it could also be a coincidence, that i am suddenly seeing things differently, but i cannot believe that the iMac had nothing to do with this.

Mind you, i still don't look down upon my PC friends; i even enjoy my time in front of my new Dell, so there is no sense of 'superiority' just because i use a Mac; just a feeling of more enjoyment.
  23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If I understood the question I do now look at the "ease of use" vs. "price" now more than I did before. My other half was just moved to the eMac, and they wonder why they ever strayed from the Mac (they has used Mac for DP years ago).
  24. adam1185 macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2004
    If anything, the way I look at life caused me to become a mac user :cool: