Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
JesseJames said:
Actually, I find myself singing Zippity DooDah walking down the street. And bluejays and fly around me and squirrels come up to be petted.

Whew! Thank you. I'm glad someone said it because I thought I was crazy when this happened to me; it's good that this is normal mac-user behavior.

Has pagan sun-worship also crept into your daily routine? Or are you not at that stage yet? Just relax my brother, in time. In time.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
adam1185 said:
If anything, the way I look at life caused me to become a mac user :cool:

That is more the way that I look at this situation. Being a Mac user has just made my life much easier. So I have been much happier, Only get frustrated when I use a PC somewhere else.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
matthew24 said:
Well I can't afford a BMW, but having a Mac makes me feel like driving a BMW at the highway. Looking at the opposite lanes I see a big traffic jam of cheap cars, many damaged, people getting angry, blowing their horns, I can't help but :D smiling :D at them.

Yep, it makes me feel good to drive my BMW and to look at the other side.
:) :p :rolleyes: ;) :D

road://internet
car://bmw

"More Internet sites are created on Macintosh than any other computing platform."

On the road of the Internet, Apple is BMW.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
slughead said:
Who would win in a fight Ditka or a hurricane?

[unanimous] Ditka.

What if the hurricane was named Hurricane Ditka?

[slight pause, and then unanimous] Ditka.

Ok, Ditka Vs God.. ?

God, in overtime.

Many seemingly trivial things have changed my life--my economics class, drugs, university life. However, owning a Mac just allowed me to shift my hobbies over to something that I could use for employment--computer know-how. Instead of building hydrogen generators and tasers in my spare time, I build web sites and write programs. Not as cool, but certainly more economical.

I think your question infers a level of silliness far greater than I could ever understand. Also, I can honestly say that your question, if viewed by Apple's marketing department, would give them the most gynormous hardon the world has ever seen. Always innovative, those Apple guys.

Great post. The Ditka bit was hilarious. The Apple marketing hardon bit was spot on.

And yet, I can't help but think that, odd as it may seem, ridiculous as it may be in a I'm-a-tool-of-the-corporate-world way, Macs really have changed my life. I switched from Windows to a Mac because I was going into desktop publishing, and I needed a new computer. I researched the Mac and decided that switching was a risk worth taking. Since then, my politics have become much more tolerant and open-minded. My approach to life is more relaxed. I regard technology with interest rather than fear. Was I open-minded to begin with? Somewhat, but I still think using a Mac has had a direct impact on my way of life. Or at least, it has brought me into communities such as this one that have changed my outlook on life. So is that direct or indirect? Does it really matter?

Using a Mac may not be a religious experience for everyone, but it's pretty damn exhilarating for me in a way that Windows or Linux could never be.

Cordless_Drill

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2004
Montgomery, Ala., USA
I can say that owning an Apple has changed my outlook.

I used to be very caught up in processor speeds, cards, etc. Not so much now.

I read on other threads about how (some) people are upset with G4s, they're too slow, the hard drives suck, not enough stock ram ...

This here Powerbook (15/1.33/5400) changed my attitude. This thing feels really fast. And that's all I care about now.

Trash the G4. Fine by me. I'm still happy as heck to have this thing.

I did not used to think like this...

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
"Yes, You are worse than me because you use windows" tends to be the feeling of some forum members here that give mac users a bad name.

Its a computer, not a religion or political party.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Vlade said:
"Yes, You are worse than me because you use windows" tends to be the feeling of some forum members here that give mac users a bad name.

Its a computer, not a religion or political party.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to fall for the politically correct "everyone's OS is equally good and bad" BS. Macs are better. I'm not going to apologize for that assertion. Overall, they are more stable, vastly more user-friendly, more secure, and more pleasing to the eye. Note that I didn't say they could do anything at all, nor did I say that were flawless in any of those areas I mentioned. However they are better overall.

Therefore, it stands to reason that people who use Macs are wiser. Not inherently better. Not necessarily even smarter. And some aren't even wiser, they're just lucky to have been in the right place at the right time. But by and large those who stuck by the Mac and those who switched to the Mac are wiser people in my opinion, and I won't back down from that position.

Some people care more about computers than politics because they spend more time with them, because it seems to have a more direct impact on their daily lives. So the repeated false comparisons meant to suggest that that they aren't that big of a deal don't really have a point. For some of us, computers aren't as little a deal as you would have us believe. They are our livelihood, our hobby, and maybe our passion. Some people spend all their free time restoring cars, working on their golf game, or making scrapbooks. Is it so terrible for some of us to spend a significant chunk of our free time working on computers? And does it not therefore logically follow that we would have some pretty strong feelings about which ones were best?

If that's offensive, then I'm sorry some people are offended, but I'm not going to pretend I don't care what OS people use or that it won't make a difference.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Awimoway said:
I'm sorry but I'm not going to fall for the politically correct "everyone's OS is equally good and bad" BS. Macs are better. I'm not going to apologize for that assertion. Overall, they are more stable, vastly more user-friendly, more secure, and more pleasing to the eye. Note that I didn't say they could do anything at all, nor did I say that were flawless in any of those areas I mentioned. However they are better overall.

Therefore, it stands to reason that people who use Macs are wiser. Not inherently better. Not necessarily even smarter. And some aren't even wiser, they're just lucky to have been in the right place at the right time. But by and large those who stuck by the Mac and those who switched to the Mac are wiser people in my opinion, and I won't back down from that position.

Some people care more about computers than politics because they spend more time with them, because it seems to have a more direct impact on their daily lives. So the repeated false comparisons meant to suggest that that they aren't that big of a deal don't really have a point. For some of us, computers aren't as little a deal as you would have us believe. They are our livelihood, our hobby, and maybe our passion. Some people spend all their free time restoring cars, working on their golf game, or making scrapbooks. Is it so terrible for some of us to spend a significant chunk of our free time working on computers? And does it not therefore logically follow that we would have some pretty strong feelings about which ones were best?

If that's offensive, then I'm sorry some people are offended, but I'm not going to pretend I don't care what OS people use or that it won't make a difference.

I am not talking about people who use a mac often and enjoy visiting the forum like you and I, but the type of people that take it too far.

For instance the people that tried to say the G4 was faster than the P4 (back before the G5), and even though the benchmarks showed the P4 destroying the mac every test, they stuck with their theory that macs are FASTER than PCs. I don't care if the mac has a better operating system (which it DOES), but it bothers me when mac users lie about things like speed, which back in the G4 days, we didn't have.

And people that say my avatar is offensive, I remember 3 posts that people said my avatar was offensive, OMFG I just wanted to... well, thats the point where I laughed and said its not worth my effort...

I have to leave soon, so I will be back to this thread later to reply, sorry if I didn't give a good enough description of what kind of mac zealots I don't like, I don't have time at the moment to post.

justinshiding

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
Chicago, IL
Noooo...my nice long post was just erased.

Summary:

Macs/osx haven't changed me as a person , but they have changed what I expect from computing.

I used windows 3.something , 95, 98 , 2000, and xp (and still do.) I never used a mac , and if I hadn't used one I would have basically just thought that microsoft was doing a fairly good job as their oses were getting more and more stable (yes xp is stable...for me at least)...(and ignoring windows:me.) That being said last year I started using macs at school and it was a totally different experience. Where xp added colours and a slightly new design, osx seems to actually enhance functionality with each revision. So it's changed what I expect from an OS, and once I get the money saved up (soon...soon) I'm going to buy a powerbook because the os is such a pleasure to use. (not a religious experience though.)

So if you were asking if it's changed what I think about computing, yes. That may or may not impact how I think about life that has yet to be seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.