Does Bluetooth USB Dongle HAVE to be D-Link?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SpaceMagic, Jun 17, 2005.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I see Belkin USB Bluetooth adapters for half the price of the D-Link. They say they're compatible with 10.2.4 and over... is this true?

What I am asking is, if I buy one of these Belkin.. although Apple only "supports" the D-Link adapter... will the Belkin work with an Apple Wireless keyboard/mouse? will it be compatible with all the other bluetooth features (syncing with mobile phone) etc...

OR.. does it have to be the Dlink?

Thanks in advance

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No, you don't have to buy D-Link. I used to have a Keyspan for my iBook, and recently when that was broken I got the cheapest dongle I could find: A Billionton. Works like a charm (even better than the Keyspan, really).

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Just a warning though: don't expect to get any help from Apple if you have any other bluetooth dongle besides the d-link. I've had an Ambicon dongle for a couple years, and OS X recently started throwing fits with it, and Apple wouldn't even talk to me. I guess that's to be expected...

I did get it to work, however, and it works just fine. :)

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Ye i got a cheap USB dongle off ebay and it works a charm, plug and play in OSX.....

ShadOW :p

5. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Way hey! Thanks guys, I owe you a drink. (with the money saved!)

6. kewpid macrumors regular

The Belkin Bluetooth dongle doesn't support headsets in OS X, but otherwise it should be fine.