Does carrying your notebook hurt your back?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by josepho, Mar 25, 2004.

1. josepho macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2004
    Surrey, England
    I'm gonna be getting a 12" iBook or Powerbook within the next month or two (hopefully sooner rather than later), and I'm gonna be taking it about with me quite a lot... especially at uni.

I study Italian & Spanish, so usually I don't have to carry a lot, mostly just two pads (quite big), and a few books (novels, plays, sometimes dictionaries), which, for the most part, doesn't really cause me any discomfort. However, last year I also did law and politics and regularly had to bring much bigger textbooks, which would cause some aches and pains if I was carrying them for too long.

It takes me about 20 minutes to get to the train station, then another 10/15 from the main station to uni, plus carrying it about between classes etc.

I'm seriously considering the Crumpler Roll-o-notes bag to accompany the notebook, which would hopefully also take the rest of my stuff.

I'm just hoping you can give me some indication of how you feel carrying your notebook around all day, especially the smaller ones (12", etc).

2. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    I have the iBook G4 12-inch. Thanks to its weight, it really is no problem to carry it around.

I have the Crumpler Sheep Scarer S which simply perfect. It fits wonderfully to my back, air can circulate (so no sweaty back), it's made of extra strong, resistant and water-proof materials, and it is especially designed for 12-inch laptops (larger sizes available, too) so that my iBook is best protected.
    Only the price is a little high. But for an excellent product, I am more than willing to pay a few extra $.
  3. Stolid macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    I've found that its all in how you carry it. I have quite the time when I break for this one run of classes (3 in a row, all with 1000+ page hardback books, all require the book be brought to class), and I've found the real trick to it is distribution. I have a backpack with 2 of the books, carry my laptop under arm, and the last book and my notebook goes in a messenger bag. It makes me look a bit odd but when I put all that stuff in 1 location I can't even walk a block without feeling it, so I'll sacrifice a little fashion for my health.
  4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    I just got a 12'' Powerbook and I haven't had any problems lugging it around. The thing only weighs about 5 lbs so its not much of an issue to carry. I bought a sleeve which I put in my backpack with a few notebooks and all my writing utensils and my assignment book. I rarely bring any textbooks to class. My longest walk is 25-30 minutes depending on my pace and I haven't had any problems.
  5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2004
    in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
    I've had a 12in ibook for a couple of years. I carry it to class almost everyday and have had no problems (I have to walk ~.5-1 mile to get from the parking to the class buildings). the ibook is smaller and lighter than the vast majority of my textbooks and is smaller and about the same weight as a 5 subject spiralbound notebook.
  6. niter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    My old Gateway used to kill to carry it. It was not heavy, really, but awkward in combination with books, terrible. My new 12" iBook, perfect. I never feel it! The 12" PB is a few oz. lighter.
  7. nargot macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
    I have the crumpler mcbains lovechild and 12" ibook. The 12" ibook is dead light, 2kg and the bag is light also. Compared to a HP or IBM brickpad that weighs 3.5-4 kg and is larger (14" screen), you would barely notice the ibook for the walking you describe depending on you fitness :) Mine does 2 x 20 walks ( 30 min walk normal people speed as i'm told) each day and i don't have any problems with that
  8. win_convert macrumors member

Mar 12, 2004
    I think its the 7 or 8 hours sitting unposturaly in front of it that does it.
  9. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    you should be fine with a 12". i've got a 15" PB and i walk to the train, then college and back every day. if i've got a few books on some days then i starts to become a bit of a hassle.

but i've also started doing weights as well. :D that helps alot.
  10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    nah, I carry my tiBook plus my stuff for university in my huge Timbuk2 Dee Dog messenger bag and there is no problem...

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I have the 17" PB, I carry it accross London and back every day in a Brenthaven Pro17 rucksack, the only time I get any problem is if I carry it on one shoulder for any great length of time, then I get a bit of a stiff neck.

Otherwise I guess it depends on your build and how far you have to travel with out putting it down. My bag also houses a digidesign M-box, an ipod, a whole bunch of cables, and usually a mic or two, not to mention all the paperwork, keys and general sh*t that go with life on the move.

A good bag is essential whatever you carry.
  12. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    part of the reason i wanted a 12" PB in the first place is its small size/weight. . .as an engineer, i have had to lug books to class that are much bigger/worse than the PB. if i find a way to take out a text or notebook it usually makes up for the 12" PB. . .as for those people carrying a 17" . . . i just dont understand how that is portable, but if you like the screen space i guess you put up with it!
  13. KatOuz macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2004
    I've had a 12' iBook for three years and have had no problems with it at all.

In high school, I had around 25 minutes of walking each way, plus 30 minutes on the subway (usually standing!); I carried my iBook, a number of textbooks, and other piles of crap in my Mountain Equipment Co-Op backback with almost no discomfort.

Now that I'm at college at live 5 minutes max from all my lectures, I carrying the iBook around in a messenger bag with no problems.
  14. krisjon macrumors regular

Feb 29, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    If you can't carry something that weighs between 5-7 lbs on your back all day, then you need to be walking even more/getting more exercise than you are. Get yourself a good bag and you'll be fine. I have my 17 with me all the time, plus a ton of other gear in a Timbuk2 Commute with zero problems. Anyone who says any different is just weak 8)
  15. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    Since I got my iBook, I actually take my laptop with me to work for "fun", I wouldn't dream of doing that with my PC laptop, which is gonna get sold in a couple of days.

The 12" Apple portables are addictive! :D
  16. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I used to carry a Dell Inspiron notebook with me in a backback, and that would get tiring/uncomfortable after a while. Now I've got a 15" Powerbook, and it's in a Crumpler Very Busy Man - one of their largish bags. It's never uncomfortable to carry my laptop now.

I know the Powerbook is a bit lighter than the Inspiron, but I think the style of bag is the biggest difference. With a messenger bag you've got it draped across your chest/back, and it's no work to keep it there. With a backpack you've either got it on one shoulder (tiring and uncomfortable), or else you've got it on both and your back gets all sweaty. :D