Does copying or renaming GB files lose audio?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon2u, May 6, 2004.

1. jon2u macrumors newbie

Hi,

Any ideas on the following?

• I am storing my GB files on an external drive.
    • In the process of returning a noisy external drive, I copied the GB files from the drive to a USB key disk. The files copied and you could see the audio parts being copied to the key.
    • On the key, I tried to rename the GB files. Interestingly, it wouldn't let me.
    • Then I copied the files from the key back to another external HD. Again, you could see the audio components being copied.
    • Then I deleted the key files.
    • On the hard drive, I renamed the files.
    • Of course, I can't remember the original file names (My Song 5.1.04)
    • When I tried to open these "copied and renamed" files they did not open.
    • When I CTRL-click on the GB file to see the package contents, nothing is there, no content.
    • I did not try to open the files before renaming them, so I don't know whether it was the copying, or the renaming that killed the files.

Any ideas on how to find, retrieve, or rescue these files?

Does renaming or copying of files destroy the internal links of the package?

P.S. I'm just starting with Garageband. I want to use it as a composing/idea pad and take these into other programs. I like the audio quality of the loops and software instruments. Apple can turn this into a tremendous product if they fix some of these limitations.

Thanks.

jon

2. Harald4 macrumors member

Get an understanding about what files and endings are by reading Google and Wikipedia, stop hacking and start creating- use the hammer instead of trying to fix it