does educational discount affect tax

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phantommaul, Oct 4, 2003.

1. phantommaul macrumors member

hi i want to buy a powerbook with educational discount. i know ground shipping is free and the high end 15" model costs 2300$. i wonder if the educational discount affects tax rate or not. do i have to pay the %7 additional tax still ??

2. Farside161 macrumors member

yes, if your state has a sales tax. sales taxes are charged on all sales in that state, its a law.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yes you will have to pay sales tax...there is basically no way to get the edu discount without paying sales tax .... sorry

4. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

hmmm

so i will get the 300$ discount but have to pay the %7 additional. it is better than nothing i think.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: hmmm

Yep, but hte 7% is on a lower amount, so your savings are really $321. The only way to avoid sales tax is if you're a non-profit institution, like a school, and fill out a form. Doesn't sound like you'd qualify.

6. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

321$ ?

i didnt get the calculation but i am a college student and i am gonna but online from the apple educational store. do i qualify ??

7. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

The best discount you can get is if you sign up for the developer discount. It's 99.00 for students bout you get about 900.00 off.

8. primalman macrumors 6502a

Re: 321$ ?

all individual purchasers must pay sales tax. As a rule, people cannot be "non-profit." Institutions such as schools and agencies can be, so they do not pay sales tax.

9. advres Guest

advres

i cancelled my 1.25ghz powerbook purchase from apple.com because of sales tax. I went over the boarder to new hampshire and bought it from an apple store and skipped sales tax. if you live near a non sales tax state do that but if not than you are f-ed

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

don't advertise the program as a discount, its a program for college students that want to develop for apple not just an edu discount

11. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Apple has a link to order stuff from there NH store --- if I order from there, no sales tax? --- fyi - I live in California, so I'd be shipping it out here

12. advres Guest

advres

no - whereever you ship to they add your states sales tax. looks like tax it is for you my friend.

13. Prabz macrumors member

Re: does educational discount affect tax

Hi! there was a similar question asked under another macrumors forum.
    U might wanna check out that thread as well.

..peace:)

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

apple has a presence in every state so thats why there is sales tax no matter where you go. order from a reseller online or from a neighboring state.

iJon

15. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

Would anyone know about the sales tax situation in Canada??? specifically Ontario ,Canada? I already know if I buy from the Canadian Apple Store online with the Edu discount i will get taxed. But I was wondering if i purchased at a reseller or campus bookstore would I get taxed and would it be juss be GST(goods and services tax) or both PST(provincial sales tax) and GST? Sorry for the long and complicated question...I juss am curious as I have made my decision to jump on the Mac bandwagon and I dont have a huge money cash flow.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i belive if you buy from a different state and have an out of state address you avoid sales tax, im not really sure though. im only 17, not very skilled in the taxes yet, but i probably should.

iJon

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I pay Los Angeles' 8.25% tax when I buy from Apple. Fair is fair. But I hate paying sales tax on an amount that gets refunded as a rebate. If Apple had simply lowered its prices instead of giving me back a $100 rebate for buying a printer and a $200 rebate for buying an iPod with my PowerBook, I would have paid $25 less in tax on that $300. I don't think the state of California earned that $25.

18. aphexist macrumors member

STICK IT TO THE MAN!

19. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Hey i'm in Ontario too, I'm at McMaster and i got a price quote for them on a 12" a few weeks ago

Yes you will get both PST and GST

I don't know what you school your at and how the prices are, but i found the Apple Store with EDU discount to be about 120 CDN cheaper then at the Campus bookstore.... Hope that helps

20. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Sorry for the double post, but i had to comment on this aswell. I hate rebates

I always either miss place something that i need to send in, or i miss the rebate date all together.

<rant>I think that is the point of the rebate, so that you spend more money in the first place, and then hopefully you forget to send it in ... everybody is out to screw the consumer</rant>

21. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

if you buy from the apple store online, you will pay the tax for where you live (but on the discounted proec = lower tax)

if you but from an apple sotre in real life, you will pay the tax for where you buy (so you could try and go someplace with lower tax)

if you buy from some place like amazon.com, you will pay no sales tax, but get no discount (this may still be a lower price, depending on the discount/original price)

22. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

too bad Apple doesn't have Republicans on their board --- then they would kiss goodbye to that Sales Tax policy!

23. primalman macrumors 6502a

LOL, it's not up to them, it is the laws of interstate commerce that determine this.

And let's not make this political. Sales taxes are there for a reason, some are too much, but they have a place, you know, maintaining state and city roads, paying for police, silly stuff like that.

24. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: 321$ ?

Sorry, the $321 savings is $300 savings on edu discount and $21 in savings in taxes from a purchase price that is $300 less (7% of $300)

25. flukewurm macrumors member

its my understanding that apple only charges tax for online orders to states which have apple stores already within that state. correct? so could i use my educational discount for my school in TN (which has an apple store in memphis) and ship my order to an address in KY (which has no apple store) and not be charged tax?

let me know if im wrong/misinformed in my thinking.