Does Fashion Sell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by esabourin, Nov 1, 2006.

1. esabourin macrumors member

Does Fashion sell??

In my opinion, the only reason Apple is doing so successful is because of the beauty of their hardware, their simple designs, their pure white machines. Just look at the iPod, why did it become so successul,,? because of it's stainless steel back, and it's white glossy finish. And it's simple but beautilful scrool wheel.

This is exactly what is happening with macs. Compare a MacBook or an iMac or even the mightymouse to Dell. Dell computers don't stand out. U can't say a Dell is attractive. But u can with the iMac, this is what attracts society to macs. U notice an apple product when u walk into a room. Even the logo is simple and basic. Making a computer look nice doesn't cost much.. but it's keeping their profits up, espcially with the iPod. My theroy is that people arn't necessarily switching to macs because of what their computers look like, but it's making a statement. And with apple's ingenious designs, it turns heads, and makes people think and learn, and finally switch to macs.
    Let's just hope PCs keep making ugly hardware, and maybe the apple marketshare will grow, who knows?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. esabourin thread starter macrumors member

i'm not underrating OSX, i'm simply saying that the physical design of apple's products are contributing to their market share. I think the fact that Macs are different and attractive people are getting people to gain interest in these computers, once they have gained intrest they gain interest into OSX.

4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

So movie, music, and photo professionals prefer Macs because they're more fashionable? People just use what works, and for many, that's OS X. If it happens to look good in the process so much the better. Frankly these days I don't think PC users are looking into Macs because they want something more fashionable, they just want something that works well. I'm not too demanding, Photoshop and Office run on both platforms, so I'm pretty much set. I was fed up with the unreliability of Windows due to its security flaws so I was convinced to switch to the Mac once they came out with OS X.

5. esabourin thread starter macrumors member

nope,, i'm defintly not saying that
    i'm saying that when the average joes see these machines, they gain interest.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree that their appearance would help sell the product, but I don't think it's the only reason they sell, or even the main reason they sell.

7. esabourin thread starter macrumors member

i know,,but think about it..if apple made their computers look like the average dell computer,, i think they'd sell less.. so lets hope pc manufactuors don't catch on,,

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Ooh, I understand what you're saying. Joe Schmo walks by an Apple store, the Macs catch his eye, and he goes in to check them out and see how they work. After being in there for a while, he finds out about how OSX works and then coughs up the cash to walk out of the store with a Mac. Am I right? :D

9. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Agreed.

10. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I also have to agree with that.

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

PC manufacturers have been trying for awhile now. The only one that really has it is Sony.

I buy my Macs because I know they are great computers that run OS X and they look great.

Nobody wants an ugly product. I sure don't. Who buys an ugly car? In addition there are those who thinks Macs are ugly. Everyones taste is different, and for those people there are Dells and other things.

Aside from a Mac looking good, they are engineered with nifty stuff. Like MagSafe, ultra thinness, magnetic latches, etc.

Even if Dell managed to put out a good looking product, it won't steal thunder from Macs in my opinion. There are more reasons to buy a Mac, great looks is icing on the cake.

12. esabourin thread starter macrumors member

exactly.

13. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

So very very true. I, for one, was under the impression that a beautiful model better come with a great interface for me to buy it. I had been looking at Macs for some time from an aesthetic point and I was enthralled when I stepped inside the Mac store and actually test one of those bad boys out. Mac OS X sealed the deal obviously, but eye candy sure can develop interest.

My friends are planning to switch purely on Mac's great look. When I showed them Mac OS X and its capabilities, they were sold.

People don't like the same boring crap every day, so when an Apple catches your eye, BOOM. You're going to want to own one.

14. esabourin thread starter macrumors member

thankyou!!! lol, exactly my point, and it is true, pepople are swtiching to macs purly for their looks, which is strange but true. and u can't blame them, people who are into home design and that kinda stuff, a mac is perfect for their home lol

also sony is catching on with the concept, especially with the vaio,,

15. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Amen

I agree with the original post. Fashion sells these iMacs to the general public, not the OSX.

While photo and music professionals buy for the OSX, apple is not seeking out them to be new customers as they are already customers.

I was in the market for a new computer for months. I have previously owned 4 DELL boxes. I am not a photo guy, I am not a music guy...I would consider myself creative, but I dont do any of it for work, just play. I just need something that works well and will help me breeze through my computing habits

I ended up buying a 2 foot iMac (Arriving 11/1).

I already owned an ipod so thats not what made me walk into an Apple store to try it out.

I peaked into the store and I just saw how WHITE and CLEAN everything looked. I kinda looked like what heaven looks like in movies. The only thing missing was employees dressed in white.

I was drawn in further. I saw beautiful big screens with no box attached. WOW that looks NEATO I thought. I played with a few things and checked how my football fantasy team was doing (lousy) and I thought....wow this is cool.

I made a few trips into the apple store to see if it wasnt just a one time thing. I took my fiance with me on subsequent trips.

After a few times, I was hooked and I bought.

My significant other who went in there a few times, now wants a 17" imac because "They are cute."

We are the target market....not Professionals.

16. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

No doubt fashion sells. We're in the era of metrosexuals that means that "prettiness" is now a universal appeal that previously could only be marketed to women.

17. budugu macrumors 6502

Fashion sells .. for sure. That said apple stuff is cool but not that fashionable (i hate white laptops!!!). I guess sony and others have some serious fashionable stuff. I guess more importantly there is also service and customer satisfaction issues...

I guess more than any thing else Sony needs to get their stores under some control... i went to the store today, determined to get a sony vaio TX 11" (2500$) model that i liked a lot... I was just put off by the indifference and the laziness and absolutely no iterest in answering the couple of questions that i had ... They just lost 2500$ today... i swear i will never enter a sony store again. Period. I would rather buy a dell (my best PC side experience) than sony.

In contrast Apple store they go out of the way to help you, when i told them that i was a student the rep actually told me that he could get me a refurb adapter that would save me 30% (on a 20$ item) !! That level of attention definitely tilts me, I probably will end up getting a mac book pro (<12") when it is released!

18. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Then you'll never get one :rolleyes:

19. budugu macrumors 6502

may be if it is <=12"? :D