Does Final Cut/Shake depend on a video card?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I'm considering converting and buying either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. I'm all about video editing but rendering videos on my AMD 64 2800+ is becoming a pain plus I'm beginning to like the OSX interface more and more. I currently use Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects on my PC. Obviously, I'll have to get the Apple equivalent of these software, which I've been told, is Final Cut and Shake. So do these programs depend on the video card or can a MacBook handle them ok?

Another question, does Final Cut have timewarping effects (an effect that creates slow motion by generating extra frames)? For those of you who know, this is a signature feature of Affect Effects and that's the only thing I use it for. So does Final Cut by itself have it or do I have to get Shake along with it? (if Shake even has it)

2. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Final cut will run on a macbook, but it won't be that much fun. MacBook Pro should be the minimum here. If you're serious about FCP and video work, I'd reccommend the Mac Pro tower with a couple extra drives.
    If you already have After Effects and know how to use it, you can keep doing that instead of getting Shake and taking the time to learn it. You can even move AE over to your new mac using Boot Camp or Paralells so you won't even need to buy a new mac version of it, though you will need to buy a copy of Windows.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Yes, it can do it.

I've got a few friends who use FCS on the MacBook, and it's alright.

Some stuff takes longer to render, and Motion is pretty slow to use, due to it's GPU dependance.

If you are serious, however, I'd definately recommend a MBP over a MB - if, of course, you've got the money.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

GPU dependent apps:

Shake - Yes
    Motion - Yes
    Final Cut - not so much
    Soundtrack Pro - no
    DVD Studio Pro - no
    Compressor - no
    Aperture - Apple's official position is "not really" but real world = yeah sort of.
    Photoshop - no
    iLife apps - no
    Games - yes

5. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

So which software in Final Cut Studios has timewarp? Or is it Final Cut Pro itself? Does Final Cut Express also have it?

6. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

7. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Of course FCP has speed controls...slow motion, reverse, speed up, etc. But what I think you're asking is if it can speed ramp like on an Avid where a clip starts really slow and then accelerates then slows down to real time over a curve instead of linearly. Yes, but not as nicely as Avid. Or as smoothly as AE. The other thing to remember about FCP is that it can take plug ins, so there is a very good chance that somewhere out there someone has already made one that will do whatever you want it to do.

8. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Not really related to the topic as such, but linking through to that great site reminded me how much of a UI facelift Apple's Pro apps need. I suggest glossy black windows, or if Leopard adopts this as a general look, perhaps adopting something completely different like wood, (as the OS will look like shiny plastic). Certainly nice to have some differences in look and feel with the Pro apps.

9. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. rishey macrumors member

Ae

Does AE really run okay under parralels or would I really need to use bootcramp?

11. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Dunno. I don't use the windows version of AE, and I don't use paralells, but I do use Bootcamp for a MPEG2 encoder and it works fine. I've heard good things about paralells though.

12. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

You can do that effect in FCP, Motion AND Shake. Each program have that option. FCP has a simple pull down menu for "variable speed" that allows you to see the frames per second graph and put curves in it.

As for what the best program for the job is, that goes to Shake. Shake's interpolation of frames for slow motion or varying speed is incredible.

P-Worm

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Excellent sum-up. :cool:
    Cheers!