Does GB allow you to compose by hand?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tokyo, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Tokyo macrumors member

May 7, 2002
    I have not seen anyone discuss whether or not Garage Band allows you to manipulate individual notes within a MIDI score. I've seen screen shots which show a keyboard input as bars along a scale, which in other MIDI programs I have been able to edit using the cursor. Does GB have that ability? I cannot play an instrument, but I have in the past input music manually in that manner; my inability to play would make such an editing feature invaluable to me.

And further, can it display the performance as sheet music?

Just curious--thanks!

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    From what I've seen and read (Granted, I haven't played around with the actual application, so take my words with a grain of salt) but it doesn't seem to me that GarageBand has that capability. I hope I'm wrong, but if not, there's already an excellent program out there for this called Sibelius. It allows you to compose by hand (on a computer) and print out sheet music and the like.
  3. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Yeah - the green instruments let you change their notes by clicking on that scissor/waveformy button.
  4. Crazy Canuck macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Victoria Canada
    Ot's actually quite well done. In the track editing mode you can edit existing midi impulses, or create new ones. Use the controll key to switch modes. I've made a few drum tracks that way. I find the ones provided are great starting points. I build fills and add symbols where they should be...

Beauty ap, eh!!!