Does Growl slow my Mac down?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sebbesen, Dec 27, 2006.

1. sebbesen macrumors newbie

I installed Growl and it's a nifty piece of software. However, I usually prefer my system to be fast over having a lot of small nice-to-have (rather than need-to-have) OS enhancements taking up CPU resources.

So question is: How does Growl affect the performance of my system?

I assume Growl must be constantly looking for stuff to notify me about, which somehow means that it constantly takes up CPU resources!? I know it's probably not a lot, I'm just interesting in knowing how much.

Best regards,
    sebbesen
    Zurich, Switzerland

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Growl is very well behaved, it uses essentially no CPU while it's waiting for events. You can verify this with Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor, or top. (look for GrowlHelperApp).

By the way, a new version just came out the other day, resource usage when programs are first registered is supposed to be one of the improvements.

3. majorp macrumors 6502

growl uses minimal resources. pretty much no cpu (apart from when it's notifying) and minimal memory (usually about 30mb)

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Anyone have some good sites to get themes and downloads for growl??

5. sebbesen thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good. Thank you for your useful answers! As for themes and extensions, I haven't seen any other sites apart from those linked from the growl home-page.