Does having "g" band devices on an "n" capable network slow down the "n" devices?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smadd, Mar 4, 2007.

1. smadd macrumors newbie

When I check the speed via Network Utility on My MacBook C2D, it still says 144 and the mini says 54, but is that an accurate analysis of the current speed, or is it just telling me the max potential spped of the device?

So this leads me to ask if "g" devices drag down "n" devices on an "n" network.

Anyone know for sure?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's just telling you the max potential. It's not actually measured the speed. That would involve sending a large file as fast as possible to the router. You'd notice that as the entire connection would be being used for a couple of minutes.

My understanding is that yes: a G device slows the whole network down to max of G speeds.

3. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Max theoretical speed.

No.

99%

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, Apple seem quite sure:
    [Link]

And G networks does slow all the way down to B speed if only one B device joins the network... and I suspect that N networks does something similar...

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

If this is true, I am greatly disappointed. I have never heard or read about this anywhere.

That's a pretty lame example of backward-compatibility if you ask me.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The G to B thing is true. It was very widely publicised when G came out. I thought everyone knew.

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm always the last to know everything!! :mad:

Good to know for the future, though.

8. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

So what you guys are saying is it works more like a hub than a switch.

9. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I wrote an analogy showing the impact of mixed device use, featuring funnels and taps and buckets. It is on some thread.

But yes, it will slow down the network to G speeds.

10. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I can understand the speed slowing down, but the range?

So I might be in some far room of the house, surfing away, and then my flatmate turns on his slightly older laptop and suddenly I lost my connection?

11. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I don't think the range is affected. I have a Macbook with g, and DH has a windoze book with an N adapter for our n router. His expanded range is not affected if I hook up to the network.

12. Mossman macrumors member

Yes it does

I'm afraid it does. You need to run a dual band network if you want to use older Macs and newer one, which can take advantage of the n routers.

This is what I am doing - older Aiport Extreme for iMac, Core Duo MBO, and PowerMac and then the new Aiport for the MacPro. Works well and is very easy to set up - have put a couple of pics here - www.theappleofmyi.com/blog but the definitive thread is here on Apple Discussion.

Hope this helps :)

13. BRUUUCE macrumors member

didn't want to start another extreme thread since their is tons and this sort of seems related.

my extreme actually seems slower than when I used my airport express. the only thing on my network is my 24' imac, and i already installed the enabler.

i know when i hook up my express and add my powerbooks and nintendo DS on the network, it will go slower, i just figured it would be faster now.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Slower at what exactly?

What mode are you running in? Most people seem to recommend the N-only 5ghz.

15. BRUUUCE macrumors member

loading webpages although its picked up this morning. (don't know what happened between last night and this morning though) I felt like I was on a 56k last night.

i just ran airport utility and didn't see the option to switch/edit a mode?