Does iBook need a hard drive to run??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vnmobster, Sep 14, 2004.

1. vnmobster macrumors newbie

I just bought a clamshell ibook ibook and found out it has no HD in it, when I turn it on, all I get is a white screen. I try using a boot disk (OS 9), I hear the disk spin, but it does not come up. Can anyone tell me if I actually need a HD for the computer to boot up, or is it because there is something else wrong. Thanks.

2. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

you can boot from another drive from another computer using firewire target disk mode. basically you need a firewire cable, and another mac that has a firewire port. link the two together and you should be able to boot from the drive by rebooting the computer and holding down the "T" key.

here's an instruction page - there also instructions on apple's site.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/target_disk_mode_ben.html

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

No it don't need hd to run. hold down "c" to boot from cd, or cmd+alt+shift+backspace.

Try to reset pram/nvram if it don't works..
    think its cmd + (alt, shift or ctrl, don't remember, but its one of them) + p + r,
    that has solved boot troubles on my old beige.

Some clamshells need os 9.04 or 9.1 to boot.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Refresher: Apple+Option+P+R

5. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

if you're adventurous you could do a network boot.

6. sebisworld macrumors 6502

You need to hold down the T on another computer to boot it up in Firewire Mode. Then connect it to the iBook (you can use the 1st & 2nd Gen iPod Firewire cable for example) and hold down option while starting it up. You'll then be able to select the other computer as your startup drive.