Does iLife 04 now come preinstalled?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Icekey, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Icekey macrumors member

I'm curious. If one walks into an Apple Store and purchases a powerbook, would one receive a powerbook with a DVD that has iLife 04 or an update pack when purchased? Or is it going to have to be done through the up-to-date program where you order online?

2. babydoc macrumors newbie

It comes with an install DVD and CD that you pop in and run. The install went painlessly for me the proud new owner of a 15" pBook 1.25 GHz with SuperDrive.

bd

3. Icekey thread starter macrumors member

My question wasn't does a powerbook come with a installation DVD! My question was does the powerbook installation DVD now come with iLife 04 or not, or do they place an upgrade dvd along with it for those who purchase it from an apple store

4. smada macrumors member

i had to install it myself on the 15" powerbook/superdrive that I got today. it probably wont come preinstalled for a few weeks.

5. Icekey thread starter macrumors member

So did it come free when you bought the powerbook? Or did you have to shell out $20 for postage and handling?

6. pinto32 macrumors 6502

How could he make it any clearer?

7. smada macrumors member

The apple salesman threw it and an apple bluetooth mouse in for free.

8. Icekey thread starter macrumors member

I have no idea what you're on about. Yes I do know that iLife 04 comes as a DVD and a CD. I'm not concerned about it. I'm asking, does it come PREINSTALLED with a new mac when you buy it or will the new mac come with a FREE copy of iLife 04 instead of having to pay the $20 for the up to date program. Am I not clear enough here?

Okay, I'll try and explain a bit better then. You see, when you purchase a new mac, well, I'm interested in getting a powerbook you see. A powerbook will come with a DVD that has Panther, Omnigraffle and stuff. In addition to that, the DVD will contain iLife. Now, before, iLife meant iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, and iDVD. Now there is Garageband and each of the iLife has been updated. Steve Jobs during the Keynote at MWSF (Macworld San Francisco) said that all new macs purchased will come with a FREE copy of iLife 04. So, my question was, if you walk into an Apple Store, pay the amount for the powerbook, will the powerbook
    a) Have a DVD with Panther what not and the latest iLife 04
    b) Have the old DVD with Panther, but not iLife 04, but have another DVD to update the iLife to iLife 04
    or c) You still have to go through the up-to-date program?

Hmmm, I hope you understand my question.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

You need to read this thread a bit closer and stop asking everyone to be so literal.

One user stated that when he bought his powerbook, since the release of iLife 04, the salesman gave him a copy of it because it was not preinstalled or preloaded on the powerbook in question. It is not currently on the Panther Restore DVD because they still probably have boxes that were produced before its release. Since he got it in the store he did not pay a $20 S/h fee.

and to your Multiple Choice it looks like the answer is B ... another way to figure it out is to just call the apple store you plan to buy it from and ask them what their policy is on it. Also if your buying an expensive computer they will be mroe likely to throw it in as an extra so long as you ask. I really hope thats clear enough

10. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Re: Does iLife 04 now come preinstalled?

I'm sure it depends on where you buy it, and when! Speak to the actual people you're buying from.

However, the time you've spent finding this info out is more that the time it takes for a separate install of the software, so who cares?

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

ANSWER

If you walk into an APPLE RETAIL STORE, and buy any mac that the store received BEFORE this next week (which will be all of them) YOU RECEIVE a FLAT pack (everything that's in the retail version minus the bulky box) of iLife '04 for FREE. Since nearly every computer in the stores was received before then, you will be out of luck with iLife '04 preinstalled. Installing iLife '04 takes about 10 minutes, MAX. No up-to-date issues, no shipping if you BUY FROM AN APPLE RETAIL STORE. Macs with iLife '04 preinstalled are shipping after this next week.

12. Icekey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. Because I'm here in Australia, and I'm asking someone to buy me the powerbook for me, there is no way of telling whether or not "store" refers to an Apple Store or some store that sells macs. Plus, the whole thing about adding it wasn't clear to me whether it was done as a favour or it was a protocol that Apple followed. Either way, it's good to know that people are getting iLife 04. Since its going to be purchased with an eduational discount, its got to be at an Apple Store.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

HOWEVER..

ANY apple reseller SHOULD be including iLife as a free add-on now anyway. It's an Apple company decision, not a "gift" from the store.

14. Icekey thread starter macrumors member

That's good to hear. Things over here work very differently cause Apple itself doesn't have a retail store over here as of yet, and some resellers are dodgy where they charge customers for the update CDs which are supposed to be given out for free etc