Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I've heard of cases where MBPr's anti-reflective coating wears out. Does this happen to imac as well?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I've never had, or heard of it happening, to a MBP let alone an iMac.

Oh, there's the whole StainGate idiocy. Everything's gotta be a "gate". Yes, there was a problem with some run of MBP screens. Yes, Apple is replacing them.

I say idiocy because no matter what the problem might have been, the pictures the whiners were posting were clearly abuse.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Oh, there's the whole StainGate idiocy. Everything's gotta be a "gate". Yes, there was a problem with some run of MBP screens. Yes, Apple is replacing them.

I say idiocy because no matter what the problem might have been, the pictures the whiners were posting were clearly abuse.

I hear what you're saying, there is a tendency to overreact. But let's be fair. There was a problem as you acknowledge and Apple did a replacement program, so it wasn't imagination.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Don't make it bigger than it is. Just because 1 product has it doesn't mean that any other product has it too. There is no correlation here. That is the point.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Don't make it bigger than it is. Just because 1 product has it doesn't mean that any other product has it too. There is no correlation here. That is the point.

I agree that there is no issue with iMacs, and that is what the post was about.

mpe

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Staingate on Macbook Pro is a real thing. I had my screen on rMBP (mid-2014) replaced by Apple as part of the quality program.

5k screen looks like a different design. I haven't heard about any similar issue. I think it is still better to use only a microfiber cloth and only water as cleaning.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I haven't seen or heard of any issues, which is a good thing. I have a 2012 rMBP and in a sense, I've been on edge on how the coating will hold up.

Let me correct myself, I was on edge prior to my iMac purchase. The MBP isn't used that much, so I'll not be completely upset over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.