Does iMac G4 run leopard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shuffles, Jan 29, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2007
    dublin, ireland
    I jst pre ordered a macbook air and want to get a mac desktop as well but i dont have much money left after buying the Air so i was thinking of buying a G4 from ebay (the one with the swivelly screen). Personally, i think its the nicest looking iMac ever built n i can get one for bout 250 euro, but i was wondering if it would run Leopard on it??? and iLife '08 and Office '08??

2. macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
  3. macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2007
    Music City, USA
    And as additional anectdotal support, I run Leopard on a 1.25 iMac G4 and it runs very well, though I don't use iLife apps on it. I believe others have had similar good experiences.
  4. macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    I have it running very well on an 700 iMac G4. No problems whatsoever. Now, keep in mind, I had to install it with the iMac connected to my iBook as a target disk, but that's only because it doesn't have a DVD drive and it doesn't meet the minimum requirements as far as processor speed.
  5. macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    I put it on my parent's 1GHz G4 iMac with 768MB RAM. Runs like a charm :)
  6. macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Leopard will run on any G4 with a minimum of an 867 MHz processor and 512 MB of memory. Though I'd recommend at least a 1 GHz G4 and 1 GB of RAM.
  7. macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2008
    Thanks sunfast!

I just purchased exactly the computer that sunfast's parents have and I was wondering if I could put leopard on it with it running reasonably well. I already knew the requirements I just like to now that other people have done the same exact situation and have had success. I don't really have a good reason to switch to leopard but its only 69 bucks at my school store so I might do that (iwork '08 and ilife '08 are only 39 so I might get those too :) Its my first mac so wish me luck! (if anyone reads this thread which isn't likely) :p
  8. macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2002
    I installed it on my 700MHz G4 iMac over firewire. The only issue I have with it is it will not wake from sleep. It just comes up with multicolored lines on the display. A restart is needed to fix it. As long as I keep it form going to sleep no issues.
  9. macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2008
    Does anyone know if I should up my ram.

I have a 15" 1.0 ghz imac g4 with 768 mb of ram. I plan to use garageband 08, word processing and web browsing and copy dvds to it for watching on it. I am going to put leopard on it and I wanted to know if it sounds like I should up the ram to 1.25gb? Thanks.