Does iMac G5 have a sleep mode?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by blodwyn, Nov 18, 2004.

1. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Having been delighted with my PB, I will probably be buying a G5 iMac for home use in a couple of months. With my PB, I never shut it down - I just close the lid and it goes into sleep mode, and it's almost instantly ready for action when I open the lid again. I'm wondering if the iMac can be left switched on permanently, and just be put into sleep mode overnight.

TIA

2. zen_state macrumors member

all macs have sleep mode. its much more an os function than a harware one. you can set it to be a time activated sleep or you can activate sleep on a dt with hot screen corners.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

it's a hardware issue, definitely... the difference between sleep and software-sleep is that the monitor is powered down, the processor is put on standby and the fans can be disabled. Only the RAM is kept alive, which is what eventually drains laptop batteries. Software only allows you to blank the screen.

But all Macs in the past 10 years or so have been able to sleep... under the Apple menu, see "sleep"?

paul

4. blodwyn thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Benj macrumors regular

Sleep and Blinking

Alright - a related question.

I bought my iMac last week. When it sleeps the screen the white light goes on, when the 'puter sleeps it starts to flash at me.

Now the iBook does the same but that lives in the living room. The iMac is meant to be on the desk in the bedroom. Girlfriend thinks the light is too bright and too annoying.

Is there any way to kill this light? Ideally I want a software type fix but if I have to physically disable the thing I don't mind too much (as long as I don't get electrocuted).

Have checked Apple KB and searched the forums and can't find anything.

Thanks all.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The usual advice is to stick a post-it note over it. There doesn't appear to be a way around it since it is the only indicator that your Mac is on so not to unplug it etc...

Only alternative is to get an eye mask for your girlfriend? ;)

7. Benj macrumors regular

Heh - the eye mask is a good suggestion.

I guess Apple don't want me to forget it is on, but given that it is always on, it is irritating. It may be that the post-it note is the only solution - which seems a shame on such a well designed product. Also the flashing light is very bright - reminds me of the flasher at the top of Canary Wharf...

8. loneAzdgari macrumors member

Yeah I find this annoying on my eMac. Usually I just dump the nearest t-shirt in front of it :D

9. Benj macrumors regular

Now that would be an approach I could live with. You can imagine how the g/f would react to that one though!

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What I've done is to cut a small piece of grey electricians tape in a small circle – the same size as the button – and stick it over the button... You could also try duct tape as it has that silvery finish and is a little more opaque.

A little more aesthetically pleasing than a post-it note... :)

11. Benj macrumors regular

The depths to which we have to stoop.

That is a good one though - white or grey electrical tape. The shiny stuff I guess. Right - that could be me off to Robert Dyas now it is lunch time....

I'm surprised Apple haven't got a £19.99 solution in the Store, right next to the iPod socks.

12. Benj macrumors regular

White electrical tape purchased (iTape if you like). 45p - come on!

This is probably a safer approach than whipping the back off and having a rummage.

13. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Since the light is controlled by the software, Apple should build a preference in display to turn off or dim down the pulsating light. I just use black masking tape. I dont care about looks.

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

No, what is REALLY irritating is the El Gato EyeHome. There's an LED light on the front that indicates whether the unit is on or off... So why is that a problem? The light is on when the unit is off, and off when the unit is on!

15. Benj macrumors regular

Agreed. I suspect they are worried about being sued by some muppet who manages to lose date by switching off a sleeping computer.

16. Benj macrumors regular

Genius.

There are altogether too many pointless lights on computer equipment - hard drives, card readers, hubs... it's like a christmas tree. I don't want to crawl around on the floor unplugging this stuff for a visually peaceful life!

17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

18. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Um, er ... you could just lean a book agaisnt it? :eek:

19. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

lol, when you look at my GFs window at night (if the lights are off), her room pulses white.

20. Benj macrumors regular

Could be the solution.

The white electrical tape doesn't do the trick - even with 4 layers. You can see the light through and around it.

G/f appreciates and agrees with snkTab's observation....

21. thecow macrumors 6502

Or you could do what I do and leave it on 24/7. My PowerBook has been on for about a year now.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We've got a G4 iMac, Cube w/ Studio Display and PowerBook in our home office. At night, the room looks like Hollywood Boulevard!

23. Benj macrumors regular

That would certainly get rid of the flashing but even shutting the screen down switches on the light. Do you have a blank screen screensaver?

The book approach helps but that light is so damn bright that if flashes around the edges of a great big hardback. Good grief - who would have thought it would be this difficult?