Does Intel Mac Mini work with MiniStack type products?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kntgsp, Apr 21, 2006.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I don't see why this wouldn't work, but I was just wondering if things like the following:

MiniStack

work with the new Intel Mac Mini. I don't see why they wouldn't, as it's just a firewire/usb port extender and an external HD. But just thought I'd ask, as there seems to be a big hooplah about Universal this and that. I just couldn't tell if there was any HD management software, etc. that would require universal binary to run effeciently.

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

There should be nothing stopping these products from working. Firewire and USB hubs are plug-and-play, as are external HDs. No worries. :D

3. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I knew that (not thaaaat n00bish), I was just worried they might have some HD management software garbage like on some of my PC HD's, that wasn't UB yet. :rolleyes:

Anywho, I think I'm gonna go pick up that mini today. I had a MBP and had all the aforementioned 'issues' with it, and after debating my portability needs I think i'll just pick up one of those. I just wish they came with big hard drives though, so I'm looking into getting one of those thingamajiggers.

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You should not have any issues with HD management software. And even if there were software - and it were not universal - the sort of software it was would run quickly under rosetta anyway, so you would still be in good shape.

5. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool thanks. I wasn't sure if Rosetta runs stuff at Virtual PC-type speed or not, which is where my concern was based.

That said, I'll install XP with Boot Camp anyway since CS2 isn't UB yet.

6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Nope, it runs way faster than that. Stuff is actually useable under Rosetta, unlike Virtual PC, for example I had a fine old time working on a large Excel spreadsheet last night on my Core Solo mini.

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

I'm using just that.

Seems like the internal sata drive is very good though, I experienced absolutely no improvement in speed using that through a FW400 connection.