Does iPod import play count to iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by reubs, Oct 4, 2006.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

When I play songs on my ipod and then plug it in to the computer to update/sync/whatever is there a way to get the play count imported to iTunes? I ask b/c I never listen to music on my computer (at least I rarely do), but I'd be interested in seeing the play count from my iPod.

Thanks for any info.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If the iPod is set to automatically sync with your library (either sync the entire library or just playlists) then the playcounts should also be synchronised. However, if the iPod is set to have its tracks manually managed, then a third party app is needed to synchronise playcounts. Is yours not syncing? :)

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I couldn't tell if it was syncing the play count or not. I restored the iPod just for kicks (I use auto sync for the time being), and I'll keep an eye on the auto-sync as the week goes on.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting way to get your kicks! :eek:

5. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, isn't it? All of my music is on the macbook that I use, so I wasn't losing anything important. I also had some files on the iPod from using it as a disk that weren't clearing off. After how long it took to update, though, I won't be playing the "restore for kicks" game anymore.

If anything, restoring made the iPod more stubborn in terms of shutting off.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you know what app that may be?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Here we go. It's called Synch iPod-iTunes Data and I haven't used it but if it does what it says on the box, it'll help for those who manually manage their iPods. :)