Does iSight require iChatAV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by IJ Reilly, Dec 13, 2003.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I just bought one of the 12" G4 PBs with the free iSight camera from Amazon. I can't get the iSight to work. According to the documentation that came with the iSight, third-party applications won't work without iChatAV installed -- and of course Apple doesn't include it with the iSight (amazing!). I've tried several of the third-party applications that are supposed to support the iSight, and none will recognize the camera. According to ASP, the camera is recognized by the system, and when I plug it in, iChat (the non-AV version) launches automatically and the green light on top of the camera turns on, and then after a few seconds, goes out.

What gives?

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Do you plan on getting panther? Ichatav comes with panther otherwise its 30$ .. it installs the drivers that make ichat run. You could look for the beta, even tho apple does not offer it anymore and that would install the drivers and you could use those third party apps.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can't find the public beta anywhere, but then I guess I'm not supposed to. The weird thing is, none of the third party apps mention that they require iChatAV to be installed to work with an iSight camera. I'll be upgrading to 10.3 eventually but I'd like to find out now if the camera is functional or DOA.

4. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

the beta expired awhile ago anyway
    Panther is worth the money anyway, so personally I'd buy Panther if I was you.
    I've a copy of the expire Beta and would be more than happy to mail it to you.

5. notmenotyou macrumors member

Re: Does iSight require iChatAV?

hum... i have 10.3.1 on my TiBook 400 and i am using iSight with my Yahoo Messenger for video conference no problem(too bad Yahoo doesn't support audio).:D

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The beta was supposed to expire at the end of December. Are you sure it isn't still working? I will buy Panther (the new PB is eligible for the up-to-date program), but I'm trying to figure out now if my iSight camera is working or if it needs to be returned to Apple.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Re: Re: Does iSight require iChatAV?

I assume 10.3 has support for the iSight built in, but 10.2 does not -- for that you need iChatAV installed, even if you're using the camera to drive a third-party application. I could be wrong... if anyone knows for a fact, please don't be shy.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You'd better get a move on with the up-to-date program - I think it expires very soon...

I guess Apple wants people to pay for iChat AV (or upgrade to Panther), but not giving away the drivers for the iSight?! Honestly! :rolleyes: :D

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It does -- on Monday. The PB only arrived on my doorstep on Friday! I'll fax in the order today. But... I think it's one of Apple's dumber moves to sell a $149.00 paperweight. Apparently, that's all the iSight is without iChatAV. Even the box for the camera says it only requires 10.2.5, and iChatAV is required for "some functionality." Make that all functionality. (This is the kind of misrepresentation that starts class action lawsuits.)

Still, I'm waiting for somebody to tell me definitively if these third-party applications do or don't require iChatAV. It could be that the camera is busted. I have no way of knowing.

10. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

yeah, you need iChanAV... too bad that it's not included with the camera like iTunes is with iPod, but what you gotta do??

it's gonna happen sooner or later, but it lacks forsight from Apple, which is annyoying to say the least.