does it bother anyone

Discussion in 'Community' started by blueflame, Mar 6, 2005.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Apple doesnt really show off their computers anymore. the mac mini could be a gigantic sucsess, if they advertised it, but they really dont. even apples homepage barely has a computer on it. i find this sad and strange.
    andreas

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have a hunch that we may see some marketing activity after Tiger's release and supply problems are ironed out -- it seems they can't make enough of them at the moment... my guess, anyway.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Apple advertises all right. When people stop by an Apple store to pick up an iPod, they'll likely browse around and try out Apple computers. You really can't tout the benefits of a Mac in a 30 second spot and make it cool and informative.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also hope that after the release of Tiger, we will see increased advertising activity. It is difficult to really show advantages of a Mac in 30 seconds.

I think that Apple is really using the local Apple Store for advertising. They get a lot of walk in traffic. According to Steve every week it's like a MacWorld. For something as expensive as a Mac, the ability to play with them is a big advantage. Having a full service store means a lot to potential customers. They are allowed a lot of time to try out the Mac. Afterwards staff are available to answer any questions.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i do like the ipod commercials

they must have a great margin on those and it has rejuvinated the company a lot like the original imac did in 1998

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'd like to see more ads for the PowerMacs and iMacs too. However, I agree that its hard to really sell the Mac benefits in 30 seconds. The iPods get people in the stores and thats half the battle. :cool:

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

True, but it's even harder to sell them in 0 seconds.

I'd like to see more ads as well. And by "more" I mean "any".

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed.

Maybe they could show a Mac or two in the background of each iPod commercial... I see about half a dozen of those every day.

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i read that the ipods made more (net) profit for apple than the imac did, i became a fan of the ipod for the reason that it really helped apple who had some bad quarters in the early 2000s

i don't listen to music enough to justify an ipod but i might like to get a photo ipod to accompany a digital camera someday

10. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

There's no such things as "Apple stores". Outside of the USA, anyway. People don't go to "Apple stores" to pick up iPods. They go to regular stores, like Best Buy, Future Shop, etc.

Yes, I'm aware there's a few Apple stores outside the USA. But how many? Less than a dozen world-wide? Come on, that's not a good way to make your stuff more popular, which is kind of what the parent poster was saying.

We need TV ads just like for the iPod. But for Macs as a whole, including OS X and iLife.

11. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

it just seems to me that apple could use absolutely as much exposure as possible. what people are saying is right, that there is alot of walk in traffic in the stores, so increase that, the ipod is already so popular, they should really be pushing every single product they own right now, while everyone is in the apple mood. all that needs to be done is for a person to buy a mac once. so sell em. true you cant explaine a mac in 30 seconds, but you can explaine alot, think about it, the pepsi promotion, i tunes, what the ipod shuffle is. i think with some creativity 30 seconds could be plenty for apple.
    andreas

12. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

If Apple makes commercials for their computers, I'd like to see an "Alienware" style ad instead of a "Dell" style ad. Go for "cool and cuttting edge" instead of "CHEAP COMPUTER $499 RARR!!!"

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

By the time they fix one model's supply chain problems, it's off to selling a new one! :rolleyes:

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well they arent as aggresive as they could be but i think the fact their comps are on display in their stores helps a lot

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

Actually I think more and more people are now getting to know about Apple and Mac. I can actually see more people using Mac than 2 or 3 years ago. Although almost all of these people are teens or in their early 20s. perhaps, this could be due to the popularity of iPod?

16. urban1985_ macrumors regular

I think the iPods definitely helped Macs to be more popular. But Apple's designs pretty much sell themselves too, and they get showcased in movies and TV shows.

Of course, you can't show all of the great features of a Mac within 30 seconds. You can't show of all of the great features of anything within 30 seconds.

That's not the point of commercials anyway. You think silhouettes of people dancing to coloured background showcases all of the iPod's features? No, yet it still helped sell all those units.

I don't know why there aren't any Mac ads out there. I definitely think it would help. Maybe it's a fear of Mac overload. I hear they're quite ubiquitous in the US, and maybe people might get sick of them if there are too many Mac ads.

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

18. Palomino macrumors member

how true this is.

19. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Touché!

They really should make an ad for the Mac mini. I mean, look at how many ads there were for the original G3 iMacs! There's definitely something to be said for "word of mouth", but still...