Does it bug you that Apple ships some products in their retail box?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suneohair, Sep 21, 2006.

Does this bug you?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
  2. No

22 vote(s)
  1. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    For some reason this irks me a little. I get my item from FedEx and the box is mutilated. I always have one or all of the following:

1: At least one hole/puncture
    2: Weird looking white dots (tiny punctures from sliding I guess)
    3: Scuffs from them sliding it around

I guess it could be seen as enviromentally friendly. But I don't like seeing holes in the box of something brand new. You know?

Changed title to some, as some things to get shipped in a brown box. Like smaller items.

My mac pro and ACD were shipped in their retail boxes. Which is mainly what I am irked by.
  2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    I would imagine the rest of us Apple product purchasers are too busy dealing with other forms of OCD and anal retention to worry about this issue.
  3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Apple ships their computers in the retail box?? I thought they were the retail boxes inside of plain brown boxes (that's the way my iPod came last year)! Shipping computers with retail packaging in plain sight is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of -- that's like asking for it to get stolen.
  4. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    reading the title i thought you dont' want apple to use retail box for online transactions... but i'd assuming you want apple to use some generic apple box outside of the retail box?

the only things i bought from apple are ipod and charger, and they have boxes outside of the ipod (well, that's no surprise, but..) so i dont know how apple ships bigger stuff, how DO they do it?

or am i just completely misunderstood you?

edit:mrogers beat me to it
  5. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2006
    they really should have it wrapped up with brown paper or whatever
  6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    New York City
    Almost any online store I've ordered electronics from (ie: Scanner, Printer, Synthesizer, Computer) all came delivered in the retail box covered in stickers. Yeah I don't like it. Mostly because the idiots sometimes leave it on the porch without me signing for it. I don't want people to know what I bought, and I certainly don't want it stolen off my porch.
  7. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    They've always sent it protected in a brown box for me.
  8. Molnies macrumors member

Jun 7, 2006
    I've recived both an iPod and an MacBook (currently waiting for the 24" iMac) and they have both been inside a brown box - obviously the retail box was inside the brown...

You mean that they put all the lables on the retail box as well? This sounds very strange... I thought they all had a brown box around them.
  9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    From my experience, Apple ships smaller products (e.g. Notebooks, iPods) inside of a brown box, while larger products (e.g. iMacs) get shipped in their retail box.
  10. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    My Mac Pro and now my ACD have come shipped in the retail box. My iPods have come in a brown box, I would imagine other smaller things do as well.

I am talking about computers and other large things.

This is definetly one of my concerns. The people in my neighborhood are less than honest. Which forces me to ship large items like my Mac Pro to my job to avoid potential problems.
  11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Always gotten flawless packages, usually brown boxes discretely marked with Apple somewhere, from our friendly TNT delivery guys... hopefully I'll get another one tomorrow... :)
  12. camomac macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Left Coast
    when i got my G5 shipped from apple, it came in the retail box. i was a little suprised, and disappointed it came scuffed up.
  13. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    Sorry, but I understand that the larger items are in their own box. You want your computer to be pristine. But if you want a perfect box you're a little nuts IMHO. What do you need a perfect box for. Boxes and foam are what protects your valuable electronics in shipping. That's all. It's just packaging. It wouldn't be environmentally correct to rewrap large items.

Anything I have ever ordered from Apple has had to be signed for. They never leave anything. I can't even ask them to. Which usually means sending it to work or going to the shipping facility to pick it up.
  14. briantology macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    Yea yea, and they could even ship it in wrapping paper so when you get it, you get to rip off the paper and it'll all be like Christmas!
  15. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Dec 8, 2005
    The Opium Garden
    My TI PBG4 shipped like this, so did my core duo iMac... (retail box inside big brown box with peanuts... unsalted:p) i would have a heart attack if any were deliverd via UPS in the retail box!

Macbook was bought @ the Apple store...
  16. fall3n macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2006
    My 24" iMac came in the brown box. So I can't really relate, I guess that would bother me a little, but not really because it's just a box. It's what's inside that counts ;)
  17. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    I have had FedEx leave a package without a signature before. UPS as well.
  18. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    Choose your carrier

That's why I always appreciate when a company lets you choose not only the time options (overnight, standard, etc.), but also the carrier. UPS has better tracking, often delivers earlier than what you paid for, is careful with your goods, and cares about your carrier forming a relationship with you. FedEx will go 2 days before picking up the box, show no tracking between California and "Delivered", and then gives you a box full of dents and holes. My FileMaker Pro 8 box was shipped in a bubble envelope and was demolished when it got to me. So much for proudly displaying it. :(
  19. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    I have had just the opposite. UPS has ignored my pickup requests and has left packages just sitting with no signature. They deliver super late and sometimes dont even knock on the door.

Sorry about your Filemaker Pro 8 box. See that kind of thing would really piss me off.
  20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    when i got my pb many years ago it came in a flimsy brown box... i had no idea it was my powerbook, i thought it was my printer, boy was i surprised when i open the box! :D
  21. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    If your item gets stolen off your porch and you dispute that credit card charge what recourse will you have? :eek:
  22. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    My iMac came in the retail box with a brown paper box over it.
  23. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    Well if they didnt get a signature it would be their fault.
  24. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    It'd be lovely to have perfect boxes but I just couldn't deal with all the extra packaging.

Mmmmm new Apples :D The boxes should feature an emergency access pull chord for folks like me who just can't contain themselves when opening time comes.
  25. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    That they will just chuck things on your porch I'd be worried that they would forge your signature as well.