Does it matter where you buy your computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zip, Jan 22, 2004.

1. zip macrumors member

I am going to buy my powerbook this week and plan to get it from CompUSA. Is there any reason that I should buy from the Apple Store instead?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Apart from supporting the team I can't think of a reason.

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well if there's an Apple Store within 30mins, I'd suggest that. I'm not sure what you are asking though--are you talking about local retailers or online retailers?

4. zip thread starter macrumors member

Local store.

I ask because I have looked at the computers so much at Comp USA that they know me, and it is closer than the Apple Dealer.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if uv built a repoir with compusa stay with em i am sure they can help u if u face any problems down the road, given its not like a logic board or anyting

6. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Just don't buy it from off the back of a truck!

7. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

If you can take advantage of the educational discount, go to apple.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's probably a good idea not to buy from the boot of the car, either.

I've never bought a computer remotely. I want someone there, stupid or not, to inform me and to listen to me when I return to the store.

9. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

If you buy from apple you get a chance to Build To Order. Not sure if this makes much diff 2 u for th ePB you're getting - you didn't specify - Makes a HUGE diff on the PMs

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

get an apple discount man...whole 200$ off...

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Wow... I get the vibe of sarcasm in this post .:rolleyes: . Apple doesn't have to offer an educational discout. 200.00 is probably a substantial amount of money for a student. Plus, if you can get it, why not???

12. zip thread starter macrumors member

It is not going to be built to order, the prices are the same at both stores.

I was wondering if there is any advantage to buying from the B&M Apple Store over other places if something goes wrong with the computer (bad track pad, cases warping, bad lock, etc)... or if I get a complete lemon... or if you get free software from buying at the Apple Store...

Either than the coolness from buying from "Apple" is there a reason to buy there other than another dealer?

13. Engagebot macrumors regular

GET THE COMPUSA EXTENDED WARRANTY!

I upgraded from an original 5GB iPod to a 20GB, then to a 30GB, then a 40 all from the compusa extended warranty.

if anything happens to it in 2 years, bring it back to the store, and they give you an identical computer, or something COMPARABLE IN PRICE TO WHAT YOU ORIGINALLY PAID!

for instance, i had a 20GB original ipod, and when the battery failed, all they had was 10/15/30. They gave me the 30GB just because they couldnt downgrade me in features (size).

Once you use your plan, its done, and you have to buy the plan again on the new one you trade for, but you can keep doing this.

Dont believe me? ask and i'll send pictures of them with the warranty papers.

14. burbguy7 macrumors newbie

bought at compusa

just got imac since had to upgrade family member, chose compusa since I was set on a 1 gig upgrade for run mem, and apple store was way way off on ram price, apple online store was OK, but high, and compusa was very good with ram price upgrade, plus, get to know the apple tech at a compusa if they have one, they have always always done me right in the past. also since i got the large screen i opted for a 2 year damage insurance for the screen that wouldn't be covered under apple care, which I also got. Yes I see some desperate attempts at gouging, at least at the inflexability at a midwest apple store. tsk tsk, I'll stick with compusa that have at least one apple tech on site. (now I'm worried apple will announce some anniversary special tomorrow, sigh)

15. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I prefer Local

I bought from the nearest apple registered center (read not the Apple branded store, but one that carries only Apple/Apple-related products). The people are knowledgeable and helpful. This particular store offered its own educational discount, and you can only get a special, unique "deal" when you "deal" with people.

Buy local. That's my vote.

16. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If you were in the UK, John Lewis gives a two year warranty as standard. The Apple store is the only place you can get BTO though.

17. Macophile macrumors member

If some catastrophic event befalls your computer and it needs to be replaced, then I don't know that there's any difference. If it's something minor, you might want to consider the Genius Bar factor.

My girlfriend's iBook went all wonky a couple of weeks ago and she was irate. She couldn't get the battery to charge, and she was convinced that the staff would simply shrug and tell her that she had to buy a new one (battery, that is, not iBook), even though she'd bought the AppleCare coverage. The guy at the Genius Bar in the Santa Monica store was very polite and helpful, going through the various things that could be causing the problem before figuring out that the power supply had simply crapped out. The iBook was fine, the battery was fine, no need to box up the whole thing and exchange it or send it away. And even though they didn't have a replacement power supply on hand, he managed to appropriate one from the sales stock so she could leave that day and not have to come back. Needless to say, her mood did a complete 180-degree turn that afternoon and she left quite happy.

Of course, I don't think that they've ever checked for proof of purchase from an Apple store (online or brick and mortar), nor is it their policy to do so, but you might want to consider that buying from the Apple store shows a support for those kinds of services as well.

But, as you said, if you've built up a rapport with the staff at CompUSA and have someone there who can offer similar assitance, go with whomever you're comfortable with. If you've spent a lot of time with the people at CompUSA and they've answered questions and given you good information, you should reward them, by all means. That's atypical behavior at CompUSA, in my experience, and should always be encouraged.

18. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Re: I prefer Local

I just wanted to second jimjiminyjim's vote for buying from your local Apple Store.

Why?

1. You're getting someone you can talk to directly, and who will remember you when you come back.

2. You're getting someone who's knowledgeable about macs. Most big box computer stores aren't.

3. They're more likely to be flexible on some of the rules (e.g., the new powerbook comes out, you just bought the old one, and you're hoping they'll let you trade it in...).

4. You're buying local - helping your fellow citizens make a living and supporting your local economy. My local store also does tons of charity work and donates many macs to schools and such.

5. In terms of the price of the computer they're usually identical to other dealers. The extras (ram, cheap printers, etc.), for me don't outweigh 1-4 above.

That's all why I think it DOES matter where you buy your mac. :)