does it seem plausible...? (wii question)

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

could a firmware update allow Hollywood DVD's to be played on the wii? (in the future?)

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, it would need additional hardward to play DVD movies.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

really? what component would it need?

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

nintendo has said it needs diffferent hardware, but I'd like to here a reason why(they may well be one and if anyone has a link please post it)

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

flux capacitor.

6. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

:D hahaha... gold

7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

But doesn't the Wii have a dvd-rom drive and it's just not "allowed" to play the encoding the dvds are on?

That's the way I thought it was.

8. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

They are updating it with a new model to play DVDs later this year. I honestly don't care, I have like 8 dvd players anyway :p Whe would I need another one?

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I believe most of it revolves around Nintendo wanting to put its system out at $250 so they didnt get the needed licensing to be able to use the DVD logo/functionality. The media is 12cm protected single and dual layer media but so long as it doesnt bear the DVD logo or claim to be DVD media they wont have to pay royalties.

The Wii also lacks the codec needed in order to be a DVD player. Assuming its a standard implementation all they would need to do is sell the software package and pay up some hefty licensing fees. I will bet that they will release a new system with DVD functionality rather than have to back license all the current systems. Besides who doesnt have a DVD player already?

Ed

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I don't need another one. I would pay a small fee to get it though. Just to say I can. ;)

11. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I think it is all an elaborate plan by Nintendo to avoid DVD licensing fees, not even Wii games have the DVD logo.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Doesn't the Wii also spin the disc bacwards?

I think this is the case, since GC discs work this way.

<]=)

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Thats an urban legend ;) gcube (or wii) discs don't spin the other way.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I thought the deal was it read backwards (i.e. edge to center, not center to edge like standard DVDs.) Seems I remember correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_Game_Disc

B

15. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I would think it more likely that Nintendo would simply make the DVD decoder a download from the Wii online store. Instead of back licensing every Wii made, pass the cost along to the customer. Those who need another DVD player may fork over the $5-$10 for the functionality, and those who do not can simply ignore it.

I don't see any reason why the drive couldn't handle it physically (except heat or longevity issues, maybe). Although there does seem to be an issue with other kinds of discs currently, so a software update of some sort would be required. Putting in CD or DVD causes the drive to sputter and eventually the console errors out. Pretty weird.

16. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

They would be dumb to do this as once they release the code to allow DVD's to be played on the systems they would have to pay back royalties on all the systems that they have produced. It is far more economical licensing wise to just release another system that has the licensing rights to play DVD's.

Ed

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:confused: How does the model suggested by Gimzotoy differ from that of an average PC. Out of the box Windows can't play DVDs, get a licensed MPEG-2 decoder and suddenly it can.

B

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The average PC has paid for royalties on the DVD drive, hense why it can use the media in the first place. You are paying for the license to decode the discs that the drive can play.

With Nintendo since they own/build/create the whole system themselves they would be responsible for licensing their hardware. Once they attach that it is "DVD" compatible they will owe back royalties on all the hardware they have distributed. However if they release another version of the Wii with the DVD codec installed they can keep the costs lower since the license would only apply to the new hardware and not the non-DVD compatible hardware.

Ed

19. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

20. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Perhaps, but computer DVD drives are capable of playing a full range of DVD discs. Even without DVD movie software, a computer can still read the data DVD formats.

The Wii cannot. In fact, inserting such a disc triggers something that forces the user to manually eject the disc and reboot the Wii. In this case, without that software, the drive could probably not even be licensed as supporting the DVD format because it simply does not. I doubt Toshiba would license a drive that is, in its current state, incapable of reading anything in the DVD formats. So the purchase from the Wii store updates the drive's firmware to be DVD capable and licenses the drive, and includes an MPEG2 decoder and DVD player.

Of course, Nintendo has already said they plan to offer a completely new unit with built-in DVD movie capabilities, so the discussion is really academic at best, if not completely irrelevant.

21. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

wouldn't it need to just flux for it to work?

22. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

a dvd with a movie on it.

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The Nintendo Wii uses a High Capacity Optical Disc Drive.

It is NOT a DVD-Rom drive. For if it was a DVD-Rom drive Nintendo would have had to pay a licence fee.

This on top of the licence fee they would have to pay for the manufacturing of DVD media. (hence look on your wii discs - you'll notice they do not say DVD)

A software decoder would not turn a non DVD drive, into one. The wii would still need a drive update, but this would open up litigation for Nintendo to be sued for not paying the DVD hardware licence fee.

That is why they have announced a DVD machine to be released this year. There is NO way they can update current models.