does itunes have to copy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by somewhatstunned, Sep 14, 2006.

1. somewhatstunned macrumors member

I want an mp3 player that plays songs right off where they sit on my drive. It looks like iTunes has to copy everything into its library first.

Is this true?

Is there an OSX application that does what I want?

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

No. You can go into iTunes preferences/Advanced tab to change the setting, although I recommend that you let iTunes manage your library.

3. somewhatstunned thread starter macrumors member

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

It'll make music management easier, because then you wouldn't have to worry where your music goes, and you can use the iTunes interface to manage your music.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not sure I understand. The music has to be on your MP3 player so that when you unplug it, it'll be able to play the music. :confused:

I second the notion to let iTunes manage your files. It's much easier. :cool:

6. somewhatstunned thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok, I get it. I wasn't talking about iPod. I was talking about iTunes playing mp3s that I keep on my laptop's hd.

It seems a needless waste of space to copy them to another location on my drive just to play them in iTunes. So I'll turn that feature off. I have my mp3s just as I like them already. Plus I like to share them with my other computers.

If I had an iPod I'd copy them to the iPod, you betcha!

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Let iTunes copy your music folder (if you have the HD space)

then go back and delete your old music folder, or burn it to a DVD/s first, then trash it.

And just use iTunes, and it's folder from now on.

8. somewhatstunned thread starter macrumors member

Ok. So if I want to use an mp3 in some other application, how do I get to it?

9. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I keep all my music on an external hdd. I add the folders I want into iTunes. It doesnt copy the songs to the iTunes library. The library list in iTunes is basically a shortcut to where the song is located.

10. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Select the song, press Command+R.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's something that takes a bit of getting used to, but I have to agree. Getting iTunes to manage your files is easier in the long run. As spicyapple says, you can select a track and press COMMAND-R to find it's location or you can use the contextual menu from right-clicking. :)