Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I have around 135GB of music in my library. Will iTunes Match even be enough to hold that much, I'm a little confused cause its only $27.99 a year. Is that for unlimited storage? And if it does upload the 135GB of music to the cloud would that take up my bandwidth at home? I'm only on a 125GB internet plan with Bell :mad:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I have around 135GB of music in my library. Will iTunes Match even be enough to hold that much, I'm a little confused cause its only $27.99 a year. Is that for unlimited storage? And if it does upload the 135GB of music to the cloud would that take up my bandwidth at home? I'm only on a 125GB internet plan with Bell :mad:

iTunes match is not unlimited. 25,000 songs is the max that iTunes will match for you. In the beginning, iTunes Match will take up a considerable amount of bandwidth as it is uploading all of your songs to the cloud to be matched.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
As I understand it, it only needs to upload those songs which are not already in its extensive library. Hence the name "match."

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
iTunes match is not unlimited. 25,000 songs is the max that iTunes will match for you. In the beginning, iTunes Match will take up a considerable amount of bandwidth as it is uploading all of your songs to the cloud to be matched.

No, iTM does not upload all of your songs. It only uploads the ones it can't match.

As I understand it, it only needs to upload those songs which are not already in its extensive library. Hence the name "match."

This is partially correct. Out of my 15,000 songs, iTunes Match only uploaded about 1000 of them. Only the songs that iTM can't match will be uploaded. Some may be in the store, but that doesn't mean they'll be matched.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK

not strictly true.
it'll uploaded anything it can't successfully match.
i have numerous tracks that are in the itunes store but for some bizarre reason it's not able to match - and usually this is 1 track from an album where it matched the rest of the tracks.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
not strictly true.
it'll uploaded anything it can't successfully match.
i have numerous tracks that are in the itunes store but for some bizarre reason it's not able to match - and usually this is 1 track from an album where it matched the rest of the tracks.
yeah i noticed that some albums had like 1 song unmatched while the rest was matched, it was really weird. but anyway i had like 900 songs that were unmatched and it only took up 2GB on my bandwidth which isnt bad. But I gotta say though it took a while, I think it was like 8-10 hours before it finished uploading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.